1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where are the black Funk bands?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Where are the black Funk bands? and why is it so hard for black Funk bands to get gigs? Especially tours out side the states.

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Are the "non-black" funk bands getting gigs?

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Yes and tour's along with it.

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Can you give examples? I'm not goading you, I'm just curious.

5. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    TM Stevens is still funkin' - and as a matter of fact, he does most of his touring overseas (it seems he's held in higher regard moreso in Europe than in the states).

See for yourself:

http://www.tmstevens.com/tourdates/

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    TM is an very good friend of mine and he's a large exception.

TM has been doing his thing for a very very long time. I'm talking about Black Funk bands in the last 10 years.

Here's TM's latest project(not Funk).

http://www.myspace.com/templeofsoul

The majority of the Funk bands that are touring are none Black.

7. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    If it's so hard for them to get gigs and do tours, they must be around somewhere.

8. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    I think we have to go back to your first question in the original post, Jauqo: "WHERE are the black funk bands?". Some of the more prominent funk bands on the scene today (like The Budos, for example), are a mixed bag, racially speaking.

We should be asking "ARE there any black funk bands out there?". Not to stir up this whole debate all over again, but it would seem that young adults are gravitating towards the Hip-Hop/MC/DJ role as opposed to drums, keys, guitar and (most impotantly :smug:) bass. The market for such a genre is, unfortunately, pretty much non-existent I'm afraid. :atoz:

But if I'm uninformed (which is always a possibility), please hit me up with some info - I can never get enough of da fonk :D, and I'll be happy to support it in any way I can!

P.S. Jauqo, I have a question - could you provide some examples of these "white boy funk" bands that are out there and doing it well?

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yep.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, I know some of the legendary (and true funk) bands still do 'mini' tours here and there but it'd be nice to see a full scale Funk Tour annually featuring the original creators of the genre. I really like some of the modern day funk bands but most of their 'funk' is so watered down it ain't even funny!! Honestly, I would think they would have an easier time finding a gig in Europe.

Having said that, Funk is thriving in Europe (and staying true to the artform)!

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I'm not asking where are the old school pioneers of the genre, We know where most of them are and what they are up to.

12. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    well jauqo, if i was black and good at funk i would totally start a black funk band with you!

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I gotcha. Well, maybe they're in church! ;) You don't find many, if any, young black kids who decide to put together a Funk band. Most of them find themselves in church honing those incredible skills and either staying in church or looking for opportunites with Neo-Soul artists! At least in my observation.

So they're either hung up on urban gospel/neo-soul or Rap/Hip Hop music. You do have a select few who gravitate toward Jazz but thats it!

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

:)

I'm not looking to start a Funk band.

And for the record guys, I'm not trying to cause any problems. I'm only asking from my own personal observation.

15. +1

16. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    You gotta observe a couple of things then.

Is there a good market for funk in its raw form these days? The market is crap for everything not geared towards maintstream imo.

If we are talking about black musicians, what are they playing these days? (my observation is soul and the jazz thing mainly)

Are we really thinking there is a preference to giving a white funk band a gig over a black funk band? (considering around here there are no good all black funk bands? I'd say no)

IS IT THE CASE that many good funk bands that are regional and what not have mixed ethnicity? The most popular ones around here? Yes. Here is our biggest regional contender. http://www.bootyband.com/index.php

Just noted what I observe in these scenarios, if you observe differently you are welcome to elaborate.

17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I say yes! The lack of of one just eliminates a whole demographic who is dying to see and hear a good funk band! You have funk lovers in their 40's and 50's who just don't go to concerts anymore because there is nothing for them! And what little does happen, it's usually on such a small scale or on a frikkin' tropical location somewhere (i.e. Sinbad's Funk and Soul Tours in the 90's)!!

18. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Ok, you'll have to excuse my response a little, cause as of a couple of years ago I can't make any observations without keeping a business sense about things, seeing as how the lack of one had completely screwed me for years.

I can't tell if you argument is a yes or a no despite that you say yes. 40 and 50 year olds that do not go to concerts is not anything that fuels a market. Active participants going to shows, spending dough on CDs, that is what fuels a market. For that reason I ask that question, and I feel this is not the only genre taking a hit. In fact, the Jam Band scene was doing pretty well with giving bands like Soulive a chance to do their thing for younger peeps, until the Jam Band scene just got INCREDIBLY saturated with bands, some with talent, others with not a drop of talent but still bringing out 500 to each show. Now, that scene is going a little lower, and if that scene is going down, what is the target audience for the next decade or so?

In theory, I'd like to see it 'come back', and maybe that notion of cyclical events will bring it back in a slightly updated form, but for now I say the genre doesn't have a strong market. However, I respect your right to disagree.

AND another HOWEVER, we are in a music revolution right now due to the internet, and the outcome is soooo unclear of the buisness model for the future, I'd say a lot of genres have a fighting chance to get back into things, but its gonna take something unfortunately Don King like to understand and sell the mess out of it.

19. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I really wouldn't mind who plays the funk as long as they're doing a good job.
    may as well be an indian band, if it's funky then it's funky.

some of the classic bands were inter-racial too, Sly & The Family Stone for instance and Tower of Power are the first who come to mind.

the musical landscape of today is lacking the vividnes found in funk so every funk act that gets exposure to a large audiance of listners gets my blessing.

20. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    The thing is this, while there are still plenty of young black musicians out there anyone interested in making records knows that a "funk band" isn't going to get a record deal. In that respect the genre is dead. So you have to go where the gigs are: Gospel, Hip Hop, jazz, Smooth Jazz even Pop. Unfortunately Record companies don't support black bands any longer. Record companies are only interested in vocal indiviuals or vocal groups. I wonder who told them no one wanted bands any more??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.