Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where are the Good Warwicks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve21, Dec 19, 2005.

1. steve21

steve21 Banned

Okay, I've played a few Warwicks in my considerably short time as a bass player (2 years, roughly 10 or so 'wicks). All of these have been in Guitar Center, either in Hollywood or in Sherman Oaks. Never once have I played one that seemed AWESOME (tonally/feel-wise), and never once have I seen one that made me think "Damn, this is worth over one grand!"

Then on various places (UG, here) I've heard that the GC Warwicks are all the worst Warwicks possible, just there to get money, not sell great Warwick quality basses.

So, my question is, where are the great Warwicks? Small mom & pop stores, cuz I've never seen a really expensive bass in any of htose (Well, except for Westwood Music, but there are no 'wicks there either). Do they exist? Are they to be found in any store? Order from Warwick themselves? Or should one just scoure eBay for a pre-'98 in half-decent condition?

2. Yes. I have also played many Warwicks(3 years, 12+basses), & I have been largely unimpressed w/every one built after '98. Chunky necks, poor sanding & imprecise fit made me swear off later model 'wicks entirely. I'd LOVE to find a dirt-cheap 4-string Thumb bolt-on or FNA w/a wenge neck, though...

3. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    If I were in your position, I'd be trying to check out older warwicks. I think they are far better, but the new ones have a lot of fans. Maybe you could check out bassexchange in sherman oaks, as theyw carry some warwicks. Although that is a somewhat cramped space, they carry lots of cool stuff. I believe trutone music in santa monica carries some warwicks as well. But, as I said, I think the old ones are where its at.

4. steve21

steve21 Banned

Cool... I've never really been a fan of Warwicks (That I played, of course) but all the things you hear about great ones (Even post-98s... some of them at least) made me wonder.

Anyways, any idea where the Bassexchange is (At least in realtion to the GC) in Sherman Oaks?

And yeah, if I ever go 'wick I will go for an older one for monetary reasons, as no 'wick I've thus played would warrant ANY new price...

5. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I've never been really awed by GC warwicks either... the action is always a bit too high..etc.

damn, now that i think of it, the action is high on EVERY bass in the store.

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    It may just be a matter of taste, I have 3 and love them, and they are newer one's. Corvette $$, Infinity SN 5, and a Katana BO 4. They all have different pup configurations,so they all get played.
    Look how many people play Jazz style basses on this board. A TON. I don't like them myself. You just may not be a warwick person. But keep trying. You may find one you like.
    I'll put a disclaimer here, I just got an F Bass and that's my main one now, but I'm not selling off my Warwicks.

7. steve21

steve21 Banned

^ Lately at my GC's it's been a matter of either too high action (GC fault), too huge crappy necks ('wick fault), or really poor sound (I assume 'wick fault, unless GC employees messed around with the wiring... which i doubt).

But my GC has some super-low action basses, the SR506 and lots of stingrays come to mind.

8. Where are the Good Warwicks?

Haven't you seen "Willow" with Warwick Davis? There's a good Warwick my friend! ;) I know... I know... I'm sorry, it's late... leave me alone. ;)

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dave Chappelle is sleeping a little easier knowing you're not going to challenge him for world's funniest guy any time soon ;)

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I've got a '90 5 String Streamer Bass, which is basically an early Streamer Stage One. It plays very very well indeed. Mine is from before Warwick started using MEC, hence it has Bartolini Pickups and preamp.

I like it alot, the neck is superb (better than any of three of the stage ones' I played at my local store). The workmanship is good over the whole bass, including electronics. FWIW the stringers in the new basses are a joke - this one has good 8mm thick wenge stringers, not the 0.8mm joke you find on the new basses.

11. Funny you should mention that... I'm Dave Chappelle ;) Yes, I'm funny, but I also play the bass. :ninja:

12. Hope you dont mind me asking, but whats a stringer? Not heard the term before...

I own a newer warwick Streamer and the neck is a bit thick towards the body. I played a new thumb bolt-on though the other day and the neck was superb. The fit and finish on my Streamer is flawless, but it had some QC issues such as loose screws etc when I got it. Easily sorted though.

I played an older Fortress masterman and it was nothing special over the newer warwicks, IMO. I believe it was a 94 model, but could be wrong there. An older thumb or streamer would probably be another matter though.

13. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    Do you mean "crappy" as in "low quality" or "crappy" as in "I don't like the feel?" Some actually like the chunky necks, so it's not Warwicks's "fault," per se. Ditto on the sound. If you do like slimmer necks, I played an older Streamer Pro M that had a comparably slim, all-wenge neck, so I bet the older Warwicks' necks would be more your speed.

If you don't like the sound, though, you don't like the sound. Don't lose sleep over it; there's nothing wrong with you. Just find another bass and lust after that. ;)

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Sure, I'll attach a picture of my bass and point out what I refer to as the stringers. I could, as ever, be using the nomenclature completely incorrectly.

Also, I re-read my post and just want to reinforce that I don't wish to be derogatory about the newer basses, but that I think the older ones had different strengths.

[​IMG]

15. That looks so cool. Why doesnt my bass photograph that well? :bawl:

I wish I had stringers on my jazzman, I'm happy with it and all, but they give it the baddass Stuart Zender vibe :D

16. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    That stage I is absolutely PIMP! Anyways, all of mine are newer and I still love em! GC Wicks won't tell you a thing about how they're supposed to sound. %99 of the time you go there, the strings are dead, the batteries are weak, and the head/cab or combo you're trying it out on is either old as hell, or isn't the same set-up you have at home. So, sadly, you almost have to just buy the damn thing and set it up yourself. Give a go around at home or in with your bandmates to see if it fits you or not. And if it doesn't, take it back...............

17. steve21

steve21 Banned

Crappy as in too chunky and hard to move... I've played some bigger necks and work okay with those, I guess it's just something else. And the sound, I love the sound of it on some recordings (For instance Ryan Martnie) but the ones I played were all lackluster.

Anyways, so if GC has the bad Warwicks, where can one buy the GOOD ones is what I wanted to know.

18. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I recently purchased an FNA Jazzman LTD 2004 5 string and I absolutely love it. This is after purchasing a Thumb bolt 5 and selling it a few months later.

While this bass does have the Ovangkol neck, it has some unique features, including an Ebony FB which I love, it has a single MEC jazz at the neck and a twin jazz HB at the bridge. You can go active or passive, you can split the twin jazz to get the neck and top twin in parallel in humcancelling mode. It has a pan between neck and bridge, and it has a mid sweep that you can adjust the center frequency on by pulling the mid sweep knob. The preamp is the same design as that used in the Infinty.

The tonal pallette is amazing. They were supposedly made like they used to be, where the wood for this limited run was handselected and then the basses were hand assembled.
    The aesthetics of this bass are awesome too. A flamed koa top over swamp-ash, MOP fish-eye fret markers, with Warwick "W" inlays at the 12th and 24th frets.

All I know is I am now a Warwick fan again! This bass is the bomb!! :bassist:

19. Got to agree. The older Warwicks are fantastic. I haven't seen a great new one for years either !!

20. play a pre-96.

I own 2 (94,95) corvettes and they are great, and are my main players.