1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where Are The New Ampeg SVT Classic Heads Assembled?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bimba, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Bimba

Bimba Gold Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Phoenix
    Are they still made in China?

2. The China build house has been doing a good job. They are not coming back to the USA, that would be the Heritage line.

3. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I love the Ampeg Heritage line. Small, simple, and beautiful. I have a Heritage 410HLF, and it sounds incredible on the gig with my SLM-era USA CL, GK 1001RB-II, or it matches beautifully with an Aguilar TH500. My only remaining amp GAS, these days, is for a Heritage Series SVT-CL + 810E.

Here's the USA Ampeg bass stuff -

Ampeg: Heritage Series

Ampeg: Pro Neo Series

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  4. Bimba

Jan 4, 2016
    Phoenix
    Yea I'm Interested in the Heritage Cl head, It seems with exception of the tubes the sound should be the same or close to a standard CL head.
    If you check the Heritage link you posted and read the BP review Jonathan noted that the sound was the same with the 3 heads he A/B'd in the article.
    He tested:
    CL Classic
    VR
    Heritage classic heads.

To be fair a true a/b comparison, all 3 heads should have the exact same tubes. I cant justify $2400 for the same head I can get alot cheaper. same bang for the buck so to speak.
    B

5. @hodgy can tell you the production differences in the Heritage line. Sonic difference maybe not (I can't tell you), but IIRC the Heritage line has more robust PC Boards. If you are expecting a lower price for the non USA's that won't happen. That could have happened when production first left the US and didn't. Plenty of good used units out there you don't have to pay new street price on.

6. Bimba

Jan 4, 2016
    Phoenix
    Thanks B! I just picked up a classic head made in china like new for $900 So with tax refund I was thinking of picking up a heritage for around $1500 on reverb.
    However!
    If I or you go to Erotubes I can get the JJ retube kit same kit for the heritage and put them in my classic.
    So really what it boils down to is the PC board specs.
    Things that make you go hummmm.
    B

B-string likes this.
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I hear tell that the boards are now the same in the Heritage and the newly manufactured CL's. I wouldn't worry about old vs new boards. The sound is there. The heritage has better QC and the tubes come with a longer warranty. There isn't anything magical about the jj tube set. What is important is buying them from a place that burns them in, matches the tubes to a high standard, and offers a warranty,

The heritage 810e is a different story, it sounds much better than the classic 810e. Better than any 810 I've every played through.