1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where are the pick guards?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pcollin, Mar 21, 2006.

1. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    I want to change the pick guard on my MIM Fender Jazz but I can't find any. My local guitar shop tried ordering me one but after a month of waiting they said they really didn't know when they could get it. I tried GC and they wanted $40 and didn't know how long it would take. I tried an online search and found one for $20 but when I got it the holes didn't match up and I had to return it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Try here:

http://www.pickguardheaven.com/

Your best bet, though, is to send a tracing of your original pickguard. That's the easiest way to ensure a correct fit.

3. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    Thanks Bassmonkeee. I checked out the link you sent but I don't see my bass listed. They do offer a link for questions on their webite so I'll try from there.

4. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Try a local guitar repair shop... mine here in town traced my boring white MIM Jazz Vs and custom cut one for $40.00 out of cool while pearl tort...looks really sweet! Cheap guards dont fit and good ones are about 35-40 bucks anywhere.

5. A lot of aftermarket pickguards will not have the holes match up with your original guard. I got a white/green guard for my Jazz bass last year (I think it was an Allparts) and had to drill new holes for most of the mounting screws.

I'm told the reason some manufacturers they do this is to keep themselves out of trouble as far as patent/trademark infringement. Apparently a different hole pattern is enough to keep you from going over the line.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Best bet would be to send your entire pickguard to someone to copy.

7. pocket_groover

pocket_groover Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    Have you tried www.wdmusic.com? I don't know if they have what you're looking for, though but they have a wide selection. I think they'll also make you a custom one.

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    One word: Ebay.

9. Big D

Big D

May 26, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Try www.terrapinguitars.com.

I bought one for my Geddy Lee and another for a MIA Fender Jazz. A little pricey but high quality, and the holes match up. Don't forget to specify whether you want a truss rod notch or not...

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm losing my mind. If they're doing that, they are breaching the implied warranty of merchantability. No sir, I don't believe a word of it. Second dumbest thing I ever heard.

11. Let's see...I had to look that one up. I hate having to do that.

"An implied warranty of merchantability is a warranty implied by law that if a merchant (meaning someone who makes an occupation of selling things) sells something, that merchant is guaranteeing that the goods are reasonably fit for the general purpose for which they are sold." -Wikipedia, which will do for now.

Is it only merchants who are subject to this, or are manufacturers as well?

The operative words here appears to be "reasonably fit". Like the word "is" was, it depends on your definintion. Tapping a couple holes was not a big deal for me since I figured they'd be covered whether I used an OEM Pickguard or an aftermarket. Maybe I shoulda bought the extended warranty:rolleyes:

12. pcollin

pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    FYI - I found my pick guard (Fender MIM Jazz) at gui****en.com

Genuine Fender, quick delivery...all is well.