Where are they now?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jblake, Jan 15, 2002.

1. jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    I see a bunch of threads about various bassist from yesteryear and thought this would be a fun subject. I personally want to know what happened to Muzz Skillings formerly of Living Colour? The guy is a badass. And how about John Wetton of Red era King Crimson fame?
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    No answers to the above, but I wonder what happened to "bassists" Kip Winger and the lead dude from Mr. Mister.
  3. jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    I wonder what happened to "bassists" Kip Winger and the lead dude from Mr. Mister.

"You want fries with that?"
  4. John Wetton has been on tour with Steve Hackett, Ian MacDonald, and Chester Thompson, performing Genesis and King Crimson classics to adoring throngs of hirsute, bespectacled geezers.

As for Muzz Skillings, he is supposedly now an NYC fireman.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    A friend of mine(now playing guitar outta Atlanta)told me Living Colour gigged recently(last week or so)in Atlanta. He didn't say if Muzz was with them, though. Anybody know who's in the band NOW?

Richard Page from Mr. Mister...actually, he's a writer/producer-type from way back(check some of Al Jarreau's mid-'80s albums & you'll see Page's name as composer on more than a few tunes).
    When Mr. Mister came out, I was shocked to see him actually playing bass & not keys.

Wetton also played in UK(Holdsworth, Eddie Jobson, Terry Bozzio/Bill Bruford) & Asia(gulp).

VH-1 did a "Where Are They Now" show featuring Kip Winger...he's at his home composing music still.
  6. I saw Living Colour in the UK in august last year at The Forum- Doug Wimbish on bass.

I was a bit disappointed by that show- the new dub-style material didn't grab me, and they jammed out songs too much.

ps. this claims to be the official Living Colour site-
  7. Does Lee Sklar still play live? I saw him once with JT, and he was fabulous.
  8. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Id like to know whatever happend to John Aldretti of Racer X. He was a great player. I cant remember the name of the cd, but it was a live cd and he did this incredible bass solo. The live cd had a tune on it called Skit Skat Wah, maybe that'll help ring a few bells as to the name of the cd.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Jimmy Johnson's had that gig for a while. Excellent bassist.
  10. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    "Does Lee Sklar still play live?"

Check out Phil Collin's "Serious Hits...Live." Very nice live playing by Sklar
  11. Hey there, Cassanova..

I believe the Racer X live cd you're referring to may have been Extreme Volume...

As for what's Mr. Alderete been up to...sorry..I have no clue.

12. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I do believe you are correct sir about the title of that cd.
  13. Noah-Fecks

Sep 13, 2000
    Scotia, NY
    Where is Mikey Welsh & Matt Sharp of weezer? I know they're not "old skool" 'where are they now?' material but both of those guys are just dissapeared pretty much. I know Mikey did bass on one of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones' solo albums.
  14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I often wonder that as well. I mean, everyone knows he was my favorite Eighties bassist (next to Bobby Dall)!

I heard a rumor today that he (Kip) played with Alice Cooper, but was told by Alice that he was "too good and too 'pretty' to be in the band." Am I being a sucka, or is this the truth?
  15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    From what I hear Kip has a new solo album due out soon. Don't have anymore details right now. I have his last one: "This Conversation Seems Like a Dream". IMO it was great. A lot of the material was written after the death of his wife so some of the songs are rather deep. Take a listen if you've never checked it out.
  16. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Yes Kip was Alice Coopers bassist. I have no idea if he was fired though.
  17. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I think the sad thing about Kip is, first Metallica starts this slag war with him, probably out of musician's jealousy, then the nerd in Beavis & Butthead wears his shirt, and truth be known, he's an incredible musician.
  18. Matt Sharp is currently playing with a band called The Rentals.
  19. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    totally off topic ive heard that screech from "saved by the bell" places bass in a band
  20. whatever happened to Krist Novoselic?