Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where Can a .150 or Heavier Gauge Low B String be Purchased?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jim T., Apr 9, 2004.

1. I'm up to a .145 low B string on my "trial/science experiment" short scale six. The .145 is working great but I'd like to know how heavy a gauge beyond that is available and where I might purchase a single string. .150 to .165? How heavy gauge is available beyond a .145?
    Thanks! Jim

2. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I think the last time I researched this, I found that the .145 is likely the heaviest you'll find. I'm not 100% sure, but let's say 99.99%. ;)

Tom

3. bound

bound

Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    Conklin makes a .150, and i think they might be making a .165 now, too. Or maybe they just made JT one. Check with him, he's the go to guy for Conklin stuff.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Will a string that big tighten to B?

I think Pyramid will make custom strings.

5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    uuuuuh.

6. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    I don't know if they offer up single strings, but Dean Markley and SIT do subcontra strings. .165, .175 and .185 range.

7. Knucklehead,
    Thanks for that.

Jauqo III - X was kind enough to send me a low F# S.I.T. string to try that's either a .165 or .170. He's a great guy and I really appreciate his participation in the "great experiment"!

He and I are both extolling the virtues of strings that are normally too big or too low for general use so it's nice to have someone to compare trials and tribulations with ;)

Jauqo told me that S.I.T. strings had a major computer networking collapse (or something...I didn't quite catch it...) that caused them to lose a lot of their email so I guess that's why I didn't hear back from them.

Sounds like I've got a couple of dependable sources now. Thanks everyone who helped! If anyone hears of new ones please let me know.

Oh, yes, the .165 (.170 still have to dig out my micrometer...) DID tune up to a B. (I wondered that myself.)

I'll see if I can get a .150 to try. .145 was ok... ...165 (?) is killer open and up to the 5th fret but the jury is out as to whether or not it has enough sweetness/harmonics up higher.
    I'm gonna move my pickup a bit and continue the experiment.

Cheers! Jim T.

8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    .150 and over for a B, why again?

9. Of course, unless you're playing a one string "B-bass" :D you always have the higher strings instead of playing above the fifth fret.

More seriously, what are the guages of the other strings on your bass?