Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can an amateur find gigs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bass-A-Nova, Dec 22, 2000.

1. Bass-A-Nova

Bass-A-Nova Guest

Nov 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    I'm a lowly half-wit, less than a year's exp. on a 4-string. However, almost from day one, I've played (I use the term loosely) with friends on occasion. I can keep a beat and find I get better as time goes on by jamming with others. Also I practice daily on my own. Question is, where can someone of my level find perhaps a weekly gig with a band with no aspirations of ever hitting the "big time"? I'm not looking to "cut a CD", or "record originals", or "change the world of music", yadda yadda yadda (Geez are ANY musicians realistic?) This seems to be what every band seeking a bassist in my area is. Just want to play, have fun - and MAYBE get free beer as payment. The local rags aren't much help. Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

2. If you're not finding the situation you want, maybe you have to be the one to put an ad out and form your own band. Usually, I like to seek out preestablished groups, because starting your own usually results in being asked, "OK, where do we rehearse?" Not at my house!

But if your not finding anything it may be the only option.

3. Bass-A-Nova

Bass-A-Nova Guest

Nov 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    You're probably right, and I've got the basement space...but I'm more interested in locating an "open-mic" type situation. Maybe it's time to visit the local music stores and looking at the bulletin-boards (the low tech ones, that is). Also I haven't really searched seriously until the last month or so, mostly 'cuz I'm afraid to get with a band, and they might discover that I'm not so great...

4. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Well, you certainly don't make booking you sound very appealling. I would recommend that you start with thinking about why someone at a club would want to have you perform.

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Bass-A-Nova: What age group would you like to play with? A completed profile helps to know who we're talking to.

Welcome to T.B. :)

Pkr2