Where can drum machines be hooked up?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LoJoe, Dec 4, 2002.

1. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I was thinking about getting a drum machine in order to liven up my solitary practice sessions. There seem to be a few hundred of them on Ebay at any given time. Exactly what kind of outputs do these things typically have. RCA type stereo connectors, XLR, or 1/4" instrument type connectors. Say for example an Alesis, or a Boss 770 or 550. I use an SWR Workingman's 12. Could a drum machine just be plugged into the effects loop input or do I have to run it through my stereo receiver like an audio component? Thanks!
  2. Almost all have either 1/4 inch or RCA connections of some sort. You could run it through an effects loop, but my suggestion would be either a set of good powered speakers (high end PC speakers seem to work well) or even powered studio monitors, roland makes some good ones fairly cheap, and M audio Studiophile series have been earning a reputation as good stuff.

You may also consider a keyboard as an option, most have a decent drum machine, and usually have speakers that will suffice for pratice volume levels. They can also give you the option of adding other accompaning instruments in the higher end.
  3. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    You can do a number of things;
    1. hook it up in the RETURN channel of the effects loop. if you have a larger amp/combo there will be a volume knob or a mix dial that will help you regulate how loud you want the drums to be.
    2. if you have a volume control on the drum machine itself, plug it in one of the two inputs on your amp (most amps have two)
    In both of these cases however, note that some of the sound clarity will be lost due to bass amps being bass amps. Plus, if you use other effects, it will completely kill the sound (I tried with a moogerfooger and the low pass filter killed the drum machine).
    but I recommend getting a boss jamstation rather than a drum machine, it's much more versatile and fun to play with!
  4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Watch out if you connect it to the effects return of your amp it may disconnect your preamp, silencing your bass signal. In that case it would be better to use a small mixer (or something like the Boss LS-2 pedal) to mix your bass signal and the drum machine before your amp.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Anywhere but Baghdad.