1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where can I buy a CTS 100k audio potentiometer for my '76 Thunderbird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rotwang, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Rotwang

Rotwang

Nov 6, 2011
    Not sure if my volume pot is bad yet or not. My Tbird is at the repair guys' shop, where he is doing a setup for me. Any sources for the volume pot if I end up needing one? Thanks, Rob.

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I need one too. I've been looking for one for several years. I broke the shaft on one of mine (luckily it still works). My repair guy said none of his parts sources had one. He could find a mini pot, but not one the size of the original.

Hopefully someone knows a source for both of us.

3. Rotwang

Rotwang

Nov 6, 2011
    You know, I have all the guts to an old head from a 1964 Gibson Titan Medalist combo. I'll dig that out, and see what I've got. Maybe some pots I could use. Hmmmm....

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Those have solid shafts, the Tbird ones have split shafts. You couldn't use the original knobs. I don't know about the OP, but I'm trying to keep mine as original as possible, so I want the pot to be the same type.

5. Rotwang

Rotwang

Nov 6, 2011
    I wonder if this would work? It's listed in the Antique Electronic Supply catalog.

Attached Files:

6. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
  7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Id replace it with a 250k pot like more commonly used. Cause itd give it a little better tonal range imo without sacrificing lows. I replcaed the pots in mine back then with 250k's and it gave more useful tone control to. Had more useable rotation range of tone knob with new pot. Upping the volume pots to 250 let a little more treble thru the signal.

8. Rotwang

Rotwang

Nov 6, 2011
    So, I could just swap out the 250k for a 100k? No other mods?