1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where can I buy a Stingray neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickn, Feb 18, 2008.

1. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I just picked up a used OLP Stingray. I was thinking of replacing the OLP neck with an authentic EBMM neck. But looking around, I can't seem to find any for sale. Not even on eBay. What gives? :confused: Also how much should I expect to pay? Thanks!

2. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    They rarely show up on eBay and you will not be able to buy one new on the aftermarket. You will need to check the eBay listings and craiglist.. those are about your only options. You could also save up your money and buy a real Stingray which would be easier to do than buy a Stingray neck.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Status Graphite will sell you one for about $550.

[​IMG]

4. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Stingray necks are very hard to get hold of. Status are one of the only companies that make a direct replacement.

5. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

6. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Status necks are top quality, it was a fairly simple install. I love mine.

7. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I see. Thanks for the input. The Moses Graphite neck looks nice. I've heard of the Status, but never the Moses. How are the Moses necks in terms of quality?

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have two; a fretted and a fretless. I think they are excellent necks, but the Moses company's customer service leaves a bit to be desired...

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I just bought an OPL MM2 and I'm liking it - but I can't see why you would pay twice what the bass is worth for a replacement neck unless yours is broken beyond repair.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Stingray necks are not readily available. I would think one of the reasons would be to prevent people from slapping a SR neck on a OLP body and selling a $100 bass for $1000 to unsuspecting buyers.

I would highly doubt EBMM would be stupid enough to sell a neck to someone without recieving a broken/damaged/defective one first.

11. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I thought it would be a fun project; I'm trying to learn more about working on basses. Besides, I bought this OLP used and it has obviously seen a lot of use. The frets are all ground down directly underneath the A and D strings from so much use... I don't know if that's an easy fix or not.. :confused:

12. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

You can get the frets worked on or even completely replaced by a qualified repair person. It's likely to be more pricey than a new set of strings, but less pricey than a brand new neck. ;)

If the worn out frets are the primary issue and you like how the instrument plays and sounds, I'd say get some work done on the frets. If you're wanting to change/upgrade the neck for other reasons, then you might look into the Status or Moses options.

13. danomar

danomar

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta
    EBMM will not sell necks without taking the old one back. They will not change style or finish from the original, either.

You could probably buy a used OLP with a good neck for less than a replacement would cost.

14. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Becuase of the rarity, all the ones ive ever seen come up for sale (maybe 3 in my lifetime) they are super expensive. Even more expensive than a moses. Its already a project why not just put a run of the mill fender neck on it?

15. Just consider, that for the price of those necks, you can nearly get a used SUB. Which is a much better bass to start.

16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Hmmmm....how about buying a good used OLP, take the neck off and install it, sell or discard the body. Cheaper than a MM neck.

17. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    This sounds interesting. What kind of mods would I need to do to make the Fender neck fit in the Stingray neck pocket?

18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I picked up a '79 MM Sabre neck from eBay but that was quite a few years ago.

BTW, the Stingray neck has 21 frets while the usual Fender has only 20.

19. I'm getting a chubby.

20. its a 78 music man stingray neck all maple with maple board.