Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can i buy a "whamola" bass at?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I went to a Primus concert in Detroit back in November and he played this strange stick looking thing. All i could find out about it was he used it in his Oysterhead project and it's called a "whamola bass" or something close to that. I thought the sound was very interesting and i would like to get a hold of one for a jam show i'm doing for my audio/video major. I can't find any music store that even knows what i'm talking about, and i have tried E-bay and looked everywhere online but came up with absoultly nothing. If any of you could help me out or provide a little info for me i'd appreciate it. thanks.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    They're not commercially available. The one Les Claypool uses was a one-off prototype given to him by a couple of guys at one of his gigs a few years ago. Claypool didn't identify them by name in the articles I've read.

Aside from having someone custom make you one, I think you're out of luck.

3. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Dude, you can't buy one. At least not that I know of. I believe the Whamola was made by a couple kids and given to Les after a show. You could probably make your own? It's pretty awesome when he slaps it with his bow, eh.

4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    That's not fair, how come the coolest instruments are impossible to get. I thought that thing was one of the sweetest sounding instruments i have ever heard. There must be someone/someplace i can get one from.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Getting something similar is not impossible. Get Primus' live DVD, take it to a reputable local luthier and explain to him what you want. He'll examine the DVD, see and hear how it works, sketch it out, and get back to you with a quote of what it will cost. The COST is what you will have to worry about . . .

6. After Forever

After Forever Banned

Feb 27, 2003
    Detroit area
    how much do you think they would go for?

7. NotPaulBradshaw

NotPaulBradshaw

Oct 29, 2008
    Believe it or not, there is a way to get one of these. My friend has one that he has left at my house...It is like a worn cherry wood color.

600 bucks is what he paid and it took months for him to get it after he ordered it.

I dunno where he got it from, but i do know that it is custom made.

If you want, I can find out...

8. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    It looks like alot of fun - especially with the monkey mask he puts on.

9. Willy2911

Willy2911

Sep 11, 2008
    OC California
    :hyper:Yes please:bassist:

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

A true curiosity!