Where can I Buy american Tonewoods in Europe?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Barcza, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    I Like to buy woods for a build project...I Like to use traditional woods, Red (american) Alder, Maple ( american) and Rosewood for fingerboard. The European alder is different, I dont like to use....
    Do you know a trustable source for thiese woods in Europe?

2. arctur

arctur

Nov 13, 2015
    Cologne, Germany
    I think what you may be looking for is a german supplier called Espen (which funnily enough, is the German name for Aspen trees...). They will ship to Hungary and have all the woods you specified in sizes ready-made for guitar or bass building. That of course means it's gonna be somewhat expensive... There may be cheaper sources closer to you but this is the easiest way that I know of. Hope you can find what you need.

Barcza likes this.
  3. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    The only major difference is Ash and Alder. European ash is a lot heavier and denser and there isn't much swamp ash alternative. Alder is quite hard to source, Walnut is pretty much the same. Maple is a little different in bare wood colour, but tonally there isn't any real world difference. Rosewood has never been an American wood, it's always been sourced from other continents. Although there is a mystique around the "Fender" woods...to be fair...keep with in the genus and it's all good. I'm really not that bothered if my alder comes from Germany or the States, especially if it's going to have a painted finish anyhow.

Barcza likes this.
  4. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Here in Hungary, much easier to get any kind of exotic wood than a swamp ash or american alder, ...and easy to get american walnut somehow, I don't know why. Fender used few times, the american walnut for bass, do you know how it compared it to red alder and swam ash in sound, weight etc. on a bolt on bass?

5. I think Espen's prize-range is quite good. At least compared to what I can buy in Finland :D I mean, 100€ for a swamp ash blank that's enough for one body is a bit expensive...

6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Man, I need to become an international wood supplier! :D

Barcza likes this.
  7. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    Yeah for sure! :)

8. You can probably make a deal with a Dutch supplier Dikhout webshop Language can be changed to English. I've not bought from them yet.

Their prices vary, depending on single- 2- or 3-piece combos.

Barcza likes this.
  9. Barcza

Barcza

May 1, 2005
    Budapest
    That's very good! Thanks!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021