Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where Can I Buy Brass Knobs for my Alembic?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by M5Yates, Jan 7, 2006.

1. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I have a beautiful Alembic with ugly old plastic control knobs. I want to install knobs that match the brass bridge, nut and truss rod cover. I’ve Googled and asked the normal suppliers (Warmoth, StewMac, AllParts) – they only have chrome, black or gold.

Where can I buy a brass control knob?

Thanks,
    Bill

[​IMG]

2. markowens1234

markowens1234

May 2, 2004
    Not sure about brass knobs, but you should seriously look into some custom, wooden knobs. www.thgknobs.com is a site with some great ones. Check out their gallery! Lots of cool stuff. Much cooler than brass knobs, IMO.

3. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Check with Alembic, you might not be the first person that wanted brass knobs - so they may have a source.

4. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I posted this request at the AlembicClub forum several months ago. All I got was "I found a pair at Guitar Center". (No such luck at my local GC).

I went ahead and placed an inquiry with Alembic. If they do have them, I bet the price will be steep.

These knobs are nothing special - they secure to the post with a small allen screw. I'd rather have a cleaner look of aged brass over custom wooden knobs.

5. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    People often just go ahead and use gold knobs with brass hardware. There is very little difference in the color.

6. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    On my 20-year-old Persuader, the brass as "antiqued" nicely. The gold knobs I've seen are too lightly colored to match.

Most of the knobs sold are coated brass. I have considered buying some and striping off the electroplate.

[​IMG]

7. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I'll keep my eye out for them, they would definantly look awesome on that bass, why did alembic even consider putting the plastic ones on?

8. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
  9. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
  10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd consider it worth if for that bass. may I congratulate you on owning such a beautiful instrument, someday I hope to join you in the club! :)

11. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Thank you, but that is a lot to spend on something that is only pictured in studio shot and can't be returned if it doesn't look right.

If I can't find brass ones, how about using these ;) :

[​IMG]

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I think Stanley Clarke would shed a silent tear if he saw those atop your Alembic... :eek:

13. i dare ya... :rolleyes:

14. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Maybe if I had Photoshop. :eyebrow:

Should I have posted this question on the Luthiers Forum?

15. markowens1234

markowens1234

May 2, 2004
    [​IMG]

:)

16. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    That's a really pretty Alembic. I love the wood.

I've seen a couple of Alembic Tribute guitars that have what appear to be gold knobs. Personally, I like the plastic knobs better. Specific to your bass, I think the old style plastic knobs actually look pretty cool. If I were to do my custom again, I'd go with your exact knobs. Just my opinion.

Again, that's one cool bass. I'm sure you really enjoy playing it.

Bones

17. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    :eek:

:bawl:

18. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    That is Great!
    [​IMG]
    :hyper: :eek: :hyper: :eek: :hyper: :eek: :hyper:

19. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I wouldn't mind some brass dome knobs with no bumps on my alembic either. The black plasticy shizzle is kind of lame.

20. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    [​IMG]
    Photoshop away.