1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where can I buy good effect online?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zeyqer, Oct 26, 2013.

1. zeyqer

zeyqer

Aug 19, 2013
    First of all, I would like to say sorry for posting it here at the Bass community. I own a guitar, and so far, I never play it using any effect, just straight to the AMP and I mostly play some rock or metal and I was thinking, do and of you know any good online store that sells guitar effect? :bassist:

EDIT: Thank you all for the replies! :) Appreciate it hehe

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
  3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
  4. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
  5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    And the best thing about Prymaxe is the hassle free returns and huge selection of new pedals.

6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The classifieds here is the best place to buy effects, but when I want something new I mainly buy from www.prymaxevintage.com because of their return policy. Because of that, I support them as much as I can.

8. Bassefx.com

Very trustworthy. Former part owner of Bass NorthWest.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    PedalGeek.com

10. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Prymaxe sucks. Terrible service and only looking out for number one. They don't care about the builders at all.

11. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeesh. Care to elaborate? You seem to be alone in your opinion.

12. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
  13. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Yeah Prymaxe is horrible to small builders, they try to put the squeeze on them, they put items on sale that aren't supposed to be on sale, thus lowering the value of the product. Plus the owner threatens to sue when builders refuse to keep dealing with them. Really the owner is a straight-up A-Hole, he has treated Tom from Fuzzhuger and Brian from ss/bs really bad. Watch as the really good builders leave Prymaxe.

14. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Example of them being complete dicks. They put all of Tom's stuff and Brian's on clearance because they were upset about Prymaxe not honoring their MAPS.

http://www.prymaxevintage.com/clearance/

Another thing is look at how many builders are beginning to opt out of the 20% off. You can't constantly slash prices. It's nice for us, but as a guy that runs an etching business who works with some of these guys, I think it's messed up.

I'd rather buy second hand here, on ILF.com or on hell even The Gear Page.

15. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I boycott Prymaxe.

Never bought anything from them. Never will.

Aside for less than ethical treatment of the little guy let's also add reports of lousy customer service, reports of improper and often times fraudulent shipping practices, as well as reports of fraudulent employment practices.

To answer the OP's question. The used market is healthy (provided that Prymaxe doesn't completely screw it up with undercutting manufacturer's MAPs). That's the first place I look. TB Classy's is a good place to start.

Beyond that, if you can at all possible, buy direct. Cut out the middle man and keep a few more dollars in people's pockets, who are trying to put food on the table.

I love Sweetwater. They are my favorite online retailer, but you are going to be hard pressed to find Fuzzrocious, Acid Age, Fuzzhugger, SS/BS, etc etc on Sweetwater.

16. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    yeah. Prymaxe is a bad, bad place. i know quite a few people that got a plus $200 pedal shipped to them in an envelope and it was banged up or not working. sure, they do returns quick, but i don't care if the shipping is free if it's unsafe.

the discount is cool as long as you're okay with them trying to Starbuck all of the smaller builders that actually do interesting things out of business. like Jwar said, they got all petty and tried to devalue product name of at least two builders that were, oddly enough, uncomfortable with being told they would be excluded from their constant 15% of sales and told them they were not going to sell through them anymore.

every builder i've talked to about them has horror stories about how much damage their business took from selling through Prymaxe, or being threatened with lawsuits (no contracts are signed), or being straight up lied to and told that their MAP would be honored and then countless emails asking them to follow their aggreement where ignored....

i love pedals. i love people doing new stuff. i've been lucky enough to get to know some of the amazing people at companies like SS/BS or Dr. Scientist or Wren & Cuff or FuzzHugger or... gawd. so many good builders out there. no WAY would i ever want a penny of my money going to someone that's whole business plan is to screw them over for their profit. no thank you.

jWar is not alone in his hate for Prymaxe.

Places To Buy Suggestions - Sweetwater is amazing people that actually play music and know their gear, Analogue Haven is the same but for weird stuff, TalkBass usually has good deals and most people in the effects forum are great humans.

and like Chiefy said, contact the builder of a pedal you like if it's on the boutique side. those guys and gals are just a JOY to talk to.

17. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Dang I had no idea about Prymaxe. Now I don't feel so bad about the pedals I did return to them :)

All I can say is that I've probably placed 15 orders from them with nary a problem. Seems like there are lots of folks saying negative things who have never even ordered from them.

18. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    i had bought about 10 things off of them, then both of my H9's. of course i like saving money, but not at the expense of people i respect getting screwed.

you know.

in the BAD way.

19. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I've spent probably 3k with them at least and the last issue pissed me off. The fact that they didn't care that they shipped my almost 400 dollar pedal in a flimsy envelope, put a bad taste in my mouth. Then I write them an email, which they ignore. Then I post on Facebook about and instead of apologizing, they say "we're working on this issue".

The thing that stopped me in my tracks was the way the treat small builders though. Shady, shady business.

They have read all this negative press and ignore it too.

There are better retailers out there.

20. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word

May 3, 2011
    connecticut
    I've always wondered how Prymaxe gives a coupon to high end pedals like WMD, IE, Darkglass, Empress. Even Guitar Center doesn't give discounts on Empress. It all makes sense now. I've bought a bunch of pedals through them without a problem. After seeing this stuff I probably won't go through them anymore. TB classifieds are all I'll ever need :bassist: