1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where can I buy horse hair, on line?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Apr 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    I am going to experiment changing hair on a cheaper bow, so looking for a reputable seller out there, please

Thanks

2. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Gold Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    Artist, RS Berkeley, La Bella Strings and Phil Jones Bass Amplification
  3. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
  4. Radio

Radio Gold Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
  5. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Thanks everyone - so I take it some of you re-hair the bow yourself?

6. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I just ordered some black hair from Bowmaker Lynn Armour Hennings website.
    I've only done 1 bow, (mine), about a year ago. It turned out fine. (I was lucky and it took 10x longer than a pro.) Mike Canada, who posts here, was very helpful in providing some pointers, as were some others in the TB community. Check out a bunch of YT videos, too.
    (You might search for that thread from Jan. 2016 in this sub-forum.)
    I purchased "2" hanks of hair this time, as I'm going to try to select only the straightest strands from both, and make 1 consistent hank.
    I am also going to try and "straighten" the hair, (prior to installing), using my daughter's electric hair-straightening device (see below).
    I am also going to try to "hang" the hank, for a week or so, with some weight attached at the bottom, to pull out any "wiggly" strands.
    The organic/variable nature of the hair is a big factor in handling and installing - if I can minimize the variations between the strands, I may have better results.
    Good Luck. (& Remember the Hippocratic Oath: "First, Do No Harm".)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  7. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    Thanks Don - this guy makes it very easy but maybe he's been at it a long time!! Or is it easy because of the type of bow?

Don Kasper likes this.
  8. Don Kasper

The video above is specific to only that bow manufacturer and is not useful for generic bow rehairing.
    IMO.
    Thanks.

Michael Eisenman likes this.
  9. bengreen

bengreen

Jan 26, 2016
    San Diego
    The amount of sorting and culling you have to do depends on how much you're willing to spend for quality hair. Largely, the cost is proportional to the length (not a factor for bass, 30" is plenty) and how much someone else does that sorting for you. I wouldn't try to salvage or doctor unsuitable hair. It may have unpredictable results once it's on the bow. Just toss it (or use it for something else).

I'd be a little leery of recommending DIY after looking at a youtube. There's a very real danger of doing serious (and expensive) damage to your bow.

If the subject interests you, now is a good time to sign up for one of the rehair workshops that happen in the spring. They're a bit pricey (and fill up fast) but if you think of it as a fun vacation with with nice folks with similar interests, as well as learning a new skill, it's more than worth it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  10. Michael Eisenman

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    I believe you're overthinking the hair-prep process. I recently came across the following video (funny guy, and Monica!):

Also see his plug-cutting video. Slightly different from how I learned to do it, but I'll have to try it; might greatly speed up the process.

11. Don Kasper

Michael,
    Thanks - I checked out both videos - lots of good stuff for a DIY like me, esp. the plug-cutting. Very helpful (I see he uses Maple. Others have recommended Basswood or other, softer white-wood. Hmmm?...)
    The "rosin + fire" process seems a bit archaic. I used CA Glue (for the knot/bundle/end securing) with good results. Is using CA an accepted, more modern technique? If not, why (k)not?
    I notice that most everybody ties the tip knot with the hair in a straight/horizontal line - I tied mine with the end of the bundle at a 90 degree angle, (I marked the exact spot on the hair where it will enter the mortise), to mimic the actual path that the strands will follow as they enter the tip mortise.
    (I also go "Frog first" and "Tip Last" in order of installation, as he does.)
    I'll consider trying to temper my hair-prep process, but I noticed that (culling?), removing sub-standard strands was one of his steps, as well. ("I over-think, Therefore, I Am".)

As for "funny guy", don't forget the French thought Jerry Lewis was a Comedic Genius.(jk)
    Regarding "Monica" - the French sure do know a thing or TWO(!) about Pastry and Desserts.
    Thanks for your interest.

12. Michael Eisenman

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Comments inline...

Don Kasper likes this.