1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where can I buy paper in oil capacitors???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dwc3690, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Anyone know some good websites?

Thanks,
    Dan C.

2. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    Maybe Angela Instruments.

Their stock is always changing.Check their website.

3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
  4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I don't get it. Why bother. A capacitor that functions as rated is a capacitor ... period. All the BS is just that.

5. +1. The signal you hear doesn't go through the cap anyway. Many seem to not realize this.

6. Jeez. I've been playing for 38 years and messing with the electronics almost as long and that had never struck me. I did know I couldn't hear the difference between cheap and expensive caps, but I thought that was from a 1969 MC5 concert in a small auditorium.

7. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'll bet that was a loud show! I remember listening to their records way back when.

P.S. We just gave away our ages. That was so long ago many of our fellow TBers weren't even born yet.

8. Kick out the jams!!!:bassist:

9. So for instance. Every .047uf 100V 10% cap, regardless what it is made of will sound EXACTLY the same?

Thanks,
    Dan C.

10. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    This will be a huge can o' worms, but having searched a huge number of threads here as well as the associated links from suppliers and test reports my condensed version is:

* Many feel / claim that cheap ceramic caps are not the best and that a decent polyester or metal film capacitor might sound better / smoother (whatever that means) and are cheap (available at Radio Shack for 2 for $2)
    * Some think the Sprague orange drop caps are real good and they too are cheap on ebay ($5)
    * For a bass there is probably no gain for paper in oil but they can be bought for as little as $5; some say they are good in amps because they distort

For me; I'm leaving the vinatge basses alone and using orange drops because I have some laying around; if I need a different value, I'm going to Radio Shack

Early Fenders had paper in oil (which are now repro'd) then changed to ceramic
    Experts here could tell you when that happened

11. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    we are not old, just experienced lol

Todd :)

12. This post gives the acronym LOL new meaning (I actually farted as I laughed!!!) :D

Yep, those guys and Blue Cheer at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit were so loud, my ears hurt OUTSIDE the building (had to leave early).

Seriously though, my experience is that a cap is a cap is a cap. If you can tell the diff, than God bless ya and go for the oil/paper wrap with ricotta cheese in the middle caps and have a blast.

I think (no flame please, just my opinnion) we tend to get a bit carried away with this stuff.

Just my .02

13. 76JazzRay

76JazzRay

Mar 30, 2009
    Arizona
    I bought a set of Lindy Fralins for my 1976 Jazz from Angela Instruments and they included a free paper in oil .047 cap. Not sure if this what Lindy recommends or just something Angela Inst. does. Either way, I put it in. It was a PITA because it's so big and the cavity is so small. Had to wrap it in electrical tape to ensure it didn't short something out.

Not saying I can hear a difference because of the cap, but those Fralins sound awesome.

:):):)

14. Yes, because it doesn't 'sound' like anything. The signal you hear doesn't go through it, at all. What does go through it is the high-frequency content you are throwing away, to ground. If you know how the circuit works you'll understand.

15. I must agree!!

I went to Fralins and Nordstrands originally for thier stacked Jazz pups because noise makes me crazy but man, do they deliver that vintage Fender tone or what!! :bassist:

16. BTW, I remember going to a head shop in East Detroit to get the "Uncensored" version of that LP when I was a kid.

I heard that tune on the radio awhile ago and thought, "Well, if you can't play well, play loud". :p

I paid 5 bucks for that record so I guesss the joke's on me. :D