Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can I buy replacement knobs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ole Jason, Apr 2, 2004.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I would like to buy a set of knobs to replace the red ones on my iamp. Is there anywhere that sells them? EA quoted me $35 + shipping for a set of black knobs, seems a little unreasonable to me. I guess maybe they're always that expensive though, I've never knob shopped before.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Finding the "right" knob can be a pain... Personally, if you like the style of knobs on your amp, but not the color, I'd drop the $35 plus shipping and be done with it. If your amp has nine knobs, $4 each isn't too bad.

When shopping around, keep in mind how much your time is worth and you'll quickly find that the EA deal isn't really that bad.

Places like Radio Shack stock some knobs, as does Mouser.com, Carvin, etc. Newark electronics might have a bigger selection but sometimes they have a minimum purchase of 50 knobs of one type.

I've been dragging my feet about buying knobs for my bass...knurled brass knobs can run double what EA wants to charge you. EMG wants a lot for their knobs too.

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Use your existing knobs. Go to Home Depot and by a can of Grip Dip. They make it in all kinds of colors. Tape over the markers and dip'em. Then after it dries cut the edges of the tape on the knobs and peel it off. Now you have black knobs.

I did this on one of my backup Eden heads. They look cooler and it adds a little grip factor as well.

It's easy and it's 6 bucks.

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Try allparts.com. They have tons of knobs. Even ones for EMG's Billy.

Peace!

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Years ago I had an Ampeg with some screwed up knobs and they wanted $4 for them. I found that a Peavey Minx used the same size shafts and got a bunch from Peavey for about .75 each and changed out the whole bunch and had some spares.