1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

where can I find a 1 meg linear blend pot?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Schizoid75, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I have searched all the guitar parts sites I can find, but I can't locate a 1 meg linear blend pot anywhere! I'm using a 1 meg for the volume, so I really want to get a 1 meg for the blend to hear the full effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I've never seen one in 1 meg and don't know if they make one in that value.

Try Mouser Electronics. Also try Guitar Electronics in Phoenix, AZ. If they don't have it they can order it. I know GE stocks a 500k as I've bought them there before.

Hope this helps.

3. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    maybe thomann.de
    they have obscure stuff

4. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Nope, no luck. I searched through 9 pages and all I saw was a 1 meg volume/tone pot. I haven't found any 1 meg blends with center detents.

Ugh!

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if you're trying to use a blend/balance pot without loading the pickups at all, try this: don't run any grounds on any of the blend pot tabs! (this assumes a proper "m/n" pot that fully shorts one side of each pot to the center tab when in the middle)

i tried this with a 250k blend/bal pot on a jazz bass, and it works great. the pickup ins and the hot outs to the volume pot are run as normal, and the pickups are themselves grounded elsewhere of course; but by not grounding the opposite tabs of the two pots of the B/B pot, it becomes just an in-line variable resistor (rheostat), blocking the hot of one pickup or the other when turned, but not letting any pickup signal to ground like a regular pot does. therefore it has no effect on the tone when dead center, and no effect on one pickup when "dimming" the other.

this trick also causes it to "dim" the pickup in question a bit more gradually than a normal B/B control, affording a smoother sweep, and as a bonus, there's no volume dip in the middle at all.

i will say, though, that a "no-load" blend with a 1meg volume might make for a harsh-sounding bass. i used a 500k linear volume with lindy jazz pickups and this set-up, and it's all kindsa bright if i want it to be.

6. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Hey, Walter, thanks for the tip! It looks like that's the way to go since no appears to make a 1 meg blend.

I'm going to throw a pair of Q-Tuner BS's in my Warwick Fortress and go completely passive with just a master volume and the blend. I never use tone controls on my basses because 1) I'm never confident of duplicating a setting exactly and 2) I tend to be a little OCD with my knobs and I'm always turning and checking them.

Erno from Q-Tuner recommended going with 1 meg pots, so we'll see. I can always roll off highs on my amp. If the bass is too out of control, I can always try different values to use the grounds on the blend.

Thanks!

7. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Hello:
    On the Q tuner side of this thread (which is read as the true source of this matter when one gets down to it) they are very bright and harmonic oriented pickups and this is Erno's design and intent. I agree with his philosophy. The harmonic content is the tone ingredient richness we want to keep. If you find your set up "out of control" in reference to brightness (because they can be very bright in "normal" settings), adjust amp knobs more than you would with "traditional " pickups is necessary. I have experimented with pots 250 / 500 / 1 meg and definitely stay with 1 meg pots but 500K is fine. If you use the 250K pots one loses the harmonic richness that the Q tuners are engineered to deliver. Adjustment of pickup to strings height can alter tone very much as well as using the hex poles on the pickups themselves. I love 'em. They are Different. Erno wires them straight to jacks. Consider using volume/volume pots 1 meg that are readily available and cost less.
    Peace. David

8. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks for the advice. I'm also considering using a pickup selector switch rather than a blend. Typically I never use my blend knobs in the middle of their range--I'm usually all bridge, all neck, or both. So a properly wired 3-way selector would achieve that without affecting the tone like a pot would, correct?

I'm definitely going for the 1 meg volume pot, at least to start with. I just ordered them last week, so I've got another couple of weeks until they arrive. Once I get them in the bass I'll update the thread with my opinion.

9. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Schizoid75
    My .02
    If you can have a new set of steel strings on it when you put in the new 1 meg pots; you will notice the harmonic content Erno talks about. Your bass will sound "alive". Least mine does.

10. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Well, I'm actually using this bass as a test for a number of things I've been wanting to try. The Q-Tuners were one item and DR Extra coated strings were another. It's actually all working towards a visual makeover as well as a sonic one. The bass has a red stain, so when it's all said and done she'll have the red stain, red pickups, red knobs, and red strings! If it comes out good, I'll post pictures. If it looks like crap, well . . . .

11. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    so the q-tuners are designed to be run unloaded, huh? then yeah, a 1 meg with this "no-load" blend would get you there. i suggest a 1 meg linear taper, as a 1 meg audio will be so abrupt from 8 to 10 as to be little more than an on-off switch.

yes, an actual 3-way switch will also be completely transparent, but since you're not running any tone controls, the blend might afford some flexibility of sounds.

12. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks for the confirmation on the type of pot. I have a 1 meg linear taper ready to go. If I try the ungrounded blend, then the value of that pot doesn't really matter, correct?

Thanks!

13. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    well, i think that a slightly lower value blend pot (like 250 instead of 500k) will dim the pickup a little less abruptly. as you go lower still, the all-the-way-over setting will leave the pickup progressively more "on", allowing more bleed-through. (technically, the "off" pickup isn't blended all the way off since it's not grounded out, but i couldn't hear any coloration on that jazz i tried this trick with).

if you try this "no-load blend" trick, please post results, as i've only tried it on the one bass.

14. stubbsonic

stubbsonic

Apr 3, 2009
    This is uncanny. I just bought some Q-tuners and was searching for 1 Meg Ohm blend pots (because of Erno's advice) and found this thread. I don't want to hi-jack the thread and shift the topic, it's mostly the same. What I have been planning is to shield the bass a little better, put in some switches so I can choose single or double coils, and series or parallel for the two coils of each pick up (I think I'll leave the pickups in series only). Put in a blend knob, and a master volume. Oh, and here's the kicker, I wanted to try to wire it with a TRS balanced out (using a TS cord would just short - and ground). Of course, trying to keep +, -, and ground all separate until the jack is going to require two blend knobs connected with a rubber band (as a rotation "belt" to keep both knobs moving together) to have them blend + & - on separate paths. Erg. I'm stupid. Maybe I'll just keep it unbalanced.

15. stubbsonic

stubbsonic

Apr 3, 2009
    I have decided to continue to pursue this balanced out idea, so for me, the blend knob isn't going to happen. It's ok, because I think I can get the control I need with two volume knobs. Still, I haven't found any dual 1 Meg-0hm pots. I might have to go with dual 500K pots, or wait until something shows up here.

16. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    what's your goal for this "balanced" output?

i suppose you could just wire up the bass however you wanted, then wire the output hot to tip, pickup negatives and the (ungrounded) ground tab of the volume pot to ring, and all metal part grounds to sleeve. (i have no idea what you would plug that into, since balanced-input sound gear usually has a very low input impedance which would choke down the passive pickups and sound like weak mud.)

the "right" way would be to put the transformer out of a direct box inside your bass and wire the output to that. of course, then you're stuck going through that DI transformer.

17. stubbsonic

stubbsonic

Apr 3, 2009
    I read an article and saw a diagram for a balanced-output wiring diagram here:

http://www.naiant.com/guitarwiring.html

It got me curious about lowering noise. My current bass setup is pretty noisy (not hum, just kinda white noise). It's a medium-quality Ibanez 5-string with active pickups.

I have new passive pickups I'm almost ready to install. I'm shielding everything really well. If I plug in a TS/unbal cord, it will be the same as it ever was. If I plug in a TRS cord, I have this little transformer adapter that I bought from the above site. I'm just wondering if it will be useful and more quiet.

I do have a couple very good quality transformers (from a DI). I think I should take this one step at a time. I don't know how to wire a transformer at all.

18. stubbsonic

stubbsonic

Apr 3, 2009
  19. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yeah, that would turn one pickup halfway down at the same time it turned the other halfway up. no good for blending. as far as a volume control for some sort of "balanced" rig-up, all you would need is a regular pot with two of its lugs tied to the balanced "+" and "-". as it's turned down, it gradually shorts the + and - together, killing the signal.

20. stubbsonic

stubbsonic

Apr 3, 2009
    I'm told wiring the pot this way would load the pickups too much and adversely affect the tone.

I ended up ordering both linear and audio taper pots, since I've been getting conflicting info about which would work best for volume.