Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can I find a Digitech Bass Whammy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Mar 19, 2002.

1. this is one post that I really dont expect to get many replies from but if anyone can point me in the right direction or has one to sell please help me out.

2. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    I wasn't aware that they made a bass whammy. Are you sure they do? have you seen one? I'm gonna try a normal whammy-wah tommorow night. I'll let you know how it performs.

3. yeah im sure they made one way back... actually i believe there was two...
    the whammy/wah was by no means the original btw... its the third re-issue and by reviews i have heard it is by far the worst... they tried to make it more of a multi-effect unit out of it and apparently failed miserably. There is also two other re-issues, the newer red one that looks a lot like the original and there is also the older black one that allows you to chose what harmony or whammy effect you want via pedals but i have neither come close to the orignal (which now sells for about 300 bucks on ebay)
    Justin Chancellor from Tool and I believe the guy from Pearl Jam both use a Bass Whammy (www.guitargeek.com one of the coolest sites ever) and there is also reviews of it around on the web (www.harmonycentral.com)

4. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    Well I'll be...! Shows how much I know!

5. Jeb T

Jeb T

Feb 19, 2002
    San Carlos, CA
    Hey man,
    The multieffects unit (I know, I know) has one. I bought the BP 2000 but returned it a couple of days later because the sounds were so cheesy. Some of them were cool, but most were not. The wah sucked. I tried the whammy aspect, but I found it wasn't for me (the boooowoooop to a really high note wasn't my thang).

Cheers!
    Jeb

6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Actually, there was no original red "Bass Whammy" (although some players such as Doug Wimbish used the guitar model on bass). The dedicated "Bass Whammy" was released at the same time as the "Mark II" guitar model, with the guitar whammy colored black, and the bass model colored blue (the "Mark II's also had different presets - two octives up on guitar vs. 5th down on the bass model - great for "virtual five string!). The main difference between the "Mark I" and "Mark II" Whammys were the addition of the footswitchable ability to scroll down the presets, toggle between 2 preprogrammed functions, and bypass the unit altogether (and the dedicated circuitry of the bass model for lower frequencies).

My original Bass Whamy is still a vital part of my effects chain, and apart from a good cleaning every year, hasn't given me any trouble in about 8 years of use.

The bast place I can suggest looking is eBay, but you'll probable pay a good amount of money, as they weren't produced in huge numbers.

7. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    I tried an XP100 whammy wah last night for a laugh. GREAT for annoying the drummer! "WOOOOOOOweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeWOOOOOOOOO

8. yeah i knew there was no red bass whammy... i was speaking of the original red whammy for guitar... i have never seen the blue bass whammy thouhg... only a black one on ebay (could have been a re-issue or just a bad pic)

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    was there only one model of bass whammy made?
    no "dive bomb" mode?

so, the "mark-II" is the current whammy pedal, right?

10. no there were two (i think)
    i doubt there was a dive bomb mode (why would there be????)
    and no (there has been 4 guitar whammys)

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    To the best of my knowledge (because I could always be wrong), there have been four different versions of Digitech's "Whammy" Pedals:
    • The "Mark I" - The "original" red pedal with no footswitching function, released early 90's (92?)
    • The "Mark II" - replaced knobs with footswitches and bypass. Guitar model colored black, bass model colored blue. Released 94/95?
    • The "Mark III", or the "XP" series - an expanded line of four pedals, the "whammy" version is widely considered inferior to the previous verisons with much worse sound and tracking quality (not surprisingly, considering a $150 drop in price). Issued late 90's
    • The "Mark IV", or the "reissue" - a reissue of the original "Mark I Red" guitar whammy pedal with the addition of footswitchable capability and MIDI in/through. Generally a good vide about these, and much better then the XP series. Current model

As best I know, the only dedicated bass whammy was the "Mark II". I'm not sure what people mean by a "dive bomb" mode, but the Bass Whammy has functions for both one octave up/down, which is more than enough for any "dive bomb" effect I can think of.

The Functions of the "Bass Whammy" are:

• Shift Mode -
    • One octave up
    • 2nd up (nice for fretless-esque swells)
    • 2nd down ("virtual drop-D tuning)
    • 4th down ("virtual five-string)
    • One octave down
    • Detune (Chorus - rate increased by pedal motion)

• Harmony Mode (switchable by footswitches) -
    • Octave down/octave up
    • Octave down/4th down
    • 4th down/3rd up
    • 4th down/5th up
    • 5th up/6th up
    • 5th up/Octave up

Here is a picture of the "Mark II" Bass Whammy Blue

[​IMG]

12. to the best of my knowledge the "dive bomb" feature is a three octave drop which would be completely and utterly useless on a bass. I only thought there was two bass whammys by the reviews at harmony central but they get a lot of stuff wrong there anyway... oh well i guess my search continues... even more so now that i see the 2nd up and 4th down features on the bass version :)

13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well, i reckon you know your stuff better than i do.

i had always thought that a dive bomb was two octaves...which would still be kinda rediculous on a bass.

well, it'll be next to impossible to a/b a bass whammy to a whammy IV (or any number less than four not equal to three). i guess the bass whammy would sound better, since it was formatted to handle the low frequencies.

14. I have a Whammy II (the guitar model) Some of the presets don't track very well (2 Octaves down!), but I find it to be a great pedal. Have had it for about 5 years now. I have never tried the Bass Whammy, but I think the guitar model does the job very well considering its frequency limitations. I've gotten some amazing sounds out of it with the 2 octave up mode and a rat pedal at the same time. Any guitarist would be jealous of my Robert Fripp type sounds!

15. I guess what I was trying to say is don't be afraid of getting a guitar whammy - it'll get the job done

16. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Whats the difference between a wah and whammy?

17. wah goes wahwahwahwah
    whammy goes whaammmmmyyy

anyway a wah sweeps frequencies (lows-highs) to give a vowel type of sound... like the sound wahwahwahwahwah

whammys are pitch shifting devices that actually bend a note... like bending a C to an Eb or shifting octaves up. This term is taken from the whammy bar on a guitar.

18. Yeah the current Guitar Whammy (with dive bomb and midi etc. is actually pretty good with bass, as long as you only use the "shift up" effects when playing in the lower register. Obviously everyone would like a proper bass whammy, but the Mk4 quitar reissue is the current retail model and comparatively cheap

19. plug in a tuner next time you try out the newer guitar one... before even touching the expression pedal you will be completely out of tune... the "harmony" features are not in harmony with you either