Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can I find a Fender Jazz Bass special?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by papaya9, Apr 29, 2003.

1. papaya9

papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    I've been looking everywhere. Can anyone please help me? Thanks

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi
    Ill make you one, however you like:bassist:

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What is a Fender jazz special?:bag:

4. Fender Jazz Special= MIJ PJ-p/up bass actually more like a Precision, passive, with rear-routed controls (no scratchplate).

made in the mid-late 80's.

I never understood why it was called a "Jazz" special- even the neck width wasn't quite Jazz-style.

the most famous user is probably Duff McKagan with Guns n' roses, who used an all-black one.

5. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Seems like they always have one or two on Ebay at any given time. Good luck.

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I think I just saw one of those if im not mistakin at sam ash here in Brooklyn N.Y. It is black w/gold hardware for 300.00 bucks. Hey aren't you from N.Y.? btw hurry while supplies last, I saw it yesterday. Call the store and ask for Chris.

7. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i own one my self AND I LOVE IT,LOVE IT,LOVE IT! DID I MENTION THAT I LOVE IT ?do not get a mexican one ,go w/japan model,mines an 87 j/bass special but some are called p-bass specials depending on the year,and stay away from the all black necks ( its hard to tell if theres a neck issue) there is also a active model called POWERSOUND(i'm not to big on that model,its the one Duff from G&R uses)there are always good ones on e-bay,my music teacher has one for sale at his music shop for 450.00 pretty mint(i can prob.get you pics if interested)my bass has dimarzios( lot better than stock) and a badass and it rivals any fender i have ever played. they are really good basses(japan ones only):bassist:

8. papaya9

papaya9

Apr 4, 2003
    Thank you Pyorh and Geezer, and all of you other kind fellows for responding!

I had someone email me who has a black one with "non-active" pickups. Is this an undesirable type of pickup? It has a rosewood neck and was MIJ. They are asking $340 including shipping--You guys think its a good price? It is supposed to be in excellent condition, but not mint. Please tell me what you think. Thank you, Kurt

9. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I own one myself. Bought back 1990. First ax that I have owned with active electronics. Pretty neat. Do a google search, you'll find them. Get the MIJ ax if you can.

10. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass