where can i find a good phaser for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SeXYBAsSPuNK, Dec 15, 2002.

Jan 29, 2002
    hey everyone i was just wondering if i could find any kind of phaser pedal for bass like the digitech hyperphase pedal for guitar, i really like the steps effect the pedal makes, and i was wondering if i could find anything like that for bass. Any suggestions?
  2. The Boss PH-3 has the stepped phaser effect you're looking for.

My phasing needs are limited and I prefer a warm vintage 4-stage sound, so I use an Akai Intelliphase--it's ruggedly built, dirt-cheap, and has true bypass. I don't think it'd make anyone sell a Lovetone, but it's certainly more than adequate for my needs.

Jan 29, 2002
    isnt that pedal for guitars though? i was listening to samples of and i only heard guitar samples
  4. Which, the Boss or the Akai? The Boss is known to work very well on bass and I've used the Akai on a most bootylicious 5-string for almost a year now with no low-end problems.

Jan 29, 2002
    ohhhh i just thought that playing a guitar pedal with a bass wouldnt sound right because of the low frequencies
  6. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    My favs:
    Guyatone PS3
    Russian EH Smallstone
    DOD FX20B
    Phase on brother, phase on.
  7. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I own the PH-3, and it is very versatile. However, it does steal quite a bit of low end. But since I mainly use it for solos, that's not a huge problem for me. It has 4, 8, 10 and 12 step phasing, undirectional fall and rise phasing, and a step effect that sounds really... wierd. It's pretty good, but keep in mind I've never tried all those fancy phasers. The music stores in Edmonton don't sell much boutique stuff.
  8. my phaser of choice is still the MXR Phase 90... no bs... just a great phase sound.
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I use the boss on bass, works great. You can hear it by clicking the littel red WWW thingy and waiting for the sound to load at my site.
  10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    A second vote for MXR Phase 90 - v.simple, just one knob to control rate, and great sound.

11. I think you'll find most bottom-feederz voting for the MXR Phase 90, incl. me. It seems the meatiest, is analog and sounds very good on bass. I switch mine in/out of my chain because of it's terrible bypass....you can hear the effect when it is supposedly off. The bass by far is the Maxon PH350 Rotary Phaser with it's photocell circuit and "watery Mutron-like" tone. I'd score one of those if I used the effect much. Just make sure you score an analog one..you'll notice the difference.
  12. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Since I'm here to contribute information, let me add this: My main bass phaser is the Guyatone PS3. It's based on the original phase 90 with some mods. It has a depth knob and the circuit was altered from the Phase 90 specs to have an asymmetrical phasing sweep. It's like a Phase 90 for the new millenium!:p
  13. there is actually a depth knob in every Phase 90 on the main circuit board. If you (carefully) pick off that glob of silicon you will find a little trim pot that you can lessen the effect with if you tweak it. But why would you wanna do that?

PS: Make sure you keep track of where it was B4 you change it!!
  14. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    I'm too much of a fumble-fingered sod to mess with trim-pots. Haven't had good luck with it in the past.:confused:
  15. Do yourself a favor and try the Akai--I'd be willing to wager a decent sum that the basic circuit is a clone of the Phase 90 or Phase 100. The bypass is pretty solid, too.
  16. Damn..I have always wanted to try that one! It has some nifty touch-sensitive features which is ALWAYS a plus for bass IMO. We need more of this kind of stuff out there you know? Why didn't you score one? Cheap!
  17. I have one, man! I got it off zZounds for $50 US.
  18. Sheesh! How do you like it? Did you compare the Akai to any others at all? What can you say about it's tone and velocity-sensitive features?
  19. I've only played bass through one other phaser--the old Boss PH-2--and, needless to say, the Akai wipes the walls with the Boss.

Having the feedback feature means that I can tweak it just enough to get the two tones I was looking for--the Anthony Jackson sound and the "Stranglehold" sound. I have experimented with the touch-sensitive side for slapping and decided it wasn't to my taste, but I wasn't playing quite the same music when I bought it that I am now.

BTW, it sounds massive on fretless.
  20. otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    I don't which phaser Pantera's "Rex Rocker" uses , but it sure sound G.R.E.A.T.

If i'd buy one it would be that , no matter what it is.

Have a slice in PAntera's "Official Live 101 proof" mainly in the Cowboys From Hell track.

maybe you can find out which on it is here on the foruns or in a pantera website.

(i know it didn't do much for you but it's better then nothin')