Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can I find a new Badass bridge for my jazz bass at a good price and service?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Manfred_Bass, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Manfred_Bass

Manfred_Bass

Mar 16, 2005
    ponce, PR
    Where can I find a new Badass bridge for my jazz bass at a good price and service? I am replacing the stock bridge of my Fender Jazz Bass. What are your experience with this kind of modification?

2. BASSNUTTT

BASSNUTTT

Feb 26, 2006
    MN
    Bestbassgear has been pretty good for me.....:cool:

3. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    what color do you need?
    i've got a couple, unused.
    black and gold i think i have.

4. Manfred_Bass

Manfred_Bass

Mar 16, 2005
    ponce, PR
    Chrome will do good!!

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My experience with that kind of modification is that it's a waste of time and money. The bent Fender bridge is better than the Badass II. If you want a high-mass bridge there are much better options than the Badass II and some of them are considerably cheaper. (Gotoh, Mighty-mite)

6. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    It's important for you to know that the BadAss II does not come with the saddles cut, so you either need to be handy enough with a file to cut the saddles or take it to a technician.

I share Phil's belief that the BadAss bridge is usually purchased for the wrong reasons. People think it will make your fundamental tones richer. It actually makes your attack brighter and more clanky. The ultimate irony was I guy I saw not too long ago with a sponge mute and a BAII.

Unless it's broken, I recommend holding onto the existing bridge. If it IS broken, here is a GREAT bridge by Wilkinson that is a direct refit and has nice brass saddles for warm, rich tone. I use these a lot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WILKINSON-BASS-...ryZ41407QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

7. Nowadays, they are available in "pre-slotted" too actually. :hyper:

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
  9. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
  10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I know the BA III is pre-slotted.

Are BA II's now available slotted, as well?

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yup! Some of 'em at least. Very cool for people who want to try them out, makes it an extremely easy drop-in, and IMO substantially improves the design.

However, they still cost a lot more than a Gotoh 201 which will give you the same high mass effect (I call it "zingy strings" and don't really like it) for less $$$.

The number one best reason to install a Badass II bridge is for cosmetic reasons.

12. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    +1 Gotoh 201

Skip the Badass and get a Gotoh from Warmoth for $30. It's every bit as good as a BA II and is a better fit.

[​IMG]