1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where can I find a pre-fretted fretboard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by canadian_man_44, Apr 10, 2010.

1. I'm looking for a maple(or another hard wood fretboard) with the frets already installed. Does anyone know anywhere that sells pre-fretted fretboards.
    I've got a couple luthiers in the area getting me a quote for making a new fretboard and fretting but the luthiers around here seem to be mostly guys that do setups and minor repairs. Not true luthiers really, so I was hoping for another alternative. Any ideas.

2. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    Allparts, Warmoth, Mighty Mite, all those sites should have em.

3. Thanks TortillaChip520. Checking those out now.

4. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    Actually, I just re-read your post, and i'm not sure if they sell just the fretboard. I thought you were talking about necks.. sorry :meh:

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Do you know how to dress and planify frets? If not, your fretted board will be of little use since you will still need a pro to adjust it for you.

6. tdvt

tdvt

Oct 13, 2008
    Vermont
  7. No, I don't know how to do that, however, I don't know how to remove and replace the fretboard either so, either way a pro would be getting his hands on it. Just thought it would cost less to have the fret board already fretted.
    My other option is to have the frets removed from the current fretboard(rosewood) and have the board refinished and refretted.

8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    This would be your better option in my shop. Unless there is substantial damage to the existing fretboard. Cheaper too.

9. Probably is the cheapest way to go for sure, although I still am going to get a price on a new fretboard anyway. I found a great bunch of birdseye maple fretboard blanks and if the cost isn't too high I might go that way. It would make a beauty.