Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where can I find a quality 5/6 string (fretless?) for under $200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darth Vader, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Feb 3, 2005
    it doesn't have to be the BEST since i'm starting out, but i like having a b string and fretless are more fun to play, in my opinion. I just want one that won't sound like crap and have good low strings (not muddy)

I could get a SX Jazz Bass Guitar 5 String Fretless for about 120-150... are those any good?
    The model is SJB62 41 3TS Fretless, if that makes any difference...

any suggestions? anyone willing to sell me one?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    To be honest, you can't...it's hard enough to make a good quality 4 string bass selling for $200 or less. 5 and 6 strings will always cost more as there is more wood and hardware required not to mention more expensive pickups.

The SX is going to be as good as anything else you'll find at that price.

You should consider looking for a used bass although it may take a while to find one. You always get more for your money going used.

3. Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Feb 3, 2005
    yeah... by quality, i meant something that sounds good... not immaculate or amazing.

good idea with the used thing.

i just want something decent to learn on.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    For that kind of dough, an Essex/Brice will suit you just fine. If you can find the Essex Megathread, it will give you _plenty_ of reading material regarding the subject. It's about a jillion pages long at this point.

(I would hazard to say the longest TB thread... ever. :bag: )

5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    honestly I think if you could save up to 500 then search the TalkBass Classifieds / EBay for a used Carvin. Seeing as second hand they lose 50% or even more value and are already (at full price) some of the best price : quality ratio basses out there.

If not it's pretty much SX...

6. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yah.. I can't think of any other 5 string under $200 that is going to be much worth playing. Some low end 5's can get really lousy. I'd say stick with the Brice- they tend to be a little better than the SX 5's.

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Man, you'd think the Lord of the Sith would know where to shop!!

:rolleyes:

:D Welcome to TalkBass!!!

8. Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Feb 3, 2005
    i damn near got a Peavey Milleneum 5 string for $61 on ebay (minus shipping) but the seller hasn't contacted me back... i think something shady was going on. thanks for the classified tip... i was looking for that type of thing. i don't trust ebay much.

thanks for the advice, you guys kick ass!