Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can I find an adjustable nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'm unhappy with the stock Rickenbacker nut on my 4003, and I was wondering if there are any places that sell adjustable ones like the ones on Warwicks.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    In what way are the Warwick ones adjustable?

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Haven't you heard of the warwick Just-a-nut? It's an adjustable nut where you can adjust the string height at the nut. Some warwicks have them. Also, some amblecs do too.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    amblec = alembic?

I think ive heard of the nut now that i think of it. Ive played several warwicks i just never really payed attention to the nut.

5. Its mostly the newer Warwicks, apparently all the new ones have them. Can't say I've ever noticed either. I doubt there was ever an Alembic in the same state as me.

Ajustable Nut? Hmm, get yourself a few nut blanks and an appropriate file set, should give you all the adjustment you need. Probly almost end up cheaper than buying one of the just-a-nuts off Warwick, almost definitely cheaper than buying the Alembic equivalent. You could then use your knowledge to do nut work for people you know, and it'll probly pay itself off. Note: I, personally, would do this for the price of materials for friends, and at a small profit for anyone else (Sorry, just couldn't resist ;) ).

If you're set on the adjustable nut, you might find if your music store stocks Warwicks they might be able to order in the nuts (parts break, and if outside warranty you want to able to fix it, and so do they).

Josh D