Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can I find info on Acacia basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fret-less Six, Nov 30, 2004.

1. I've looked all over the 'net and I can't find anything on Acacia's. I know someone lost (and later recovered) an Acacia, I was wondering what they're like.

2. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I think Brian at The Low End sells them?

3. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Acacia's are not being made anymore. I sure do miss mine (6string fretless w/leopardwood top). Still, theLowEnd.net may be a good source for tracking someone down who has one.

Also, some with the last name "Mirra" in the NorthCal area has been trying on and off to sell one for a few years.

4. Contact John Slog at Guitar Villa in Bethlehem PA. I remember him having a number of the over the years.

610-746-9200

website is www.guitar-villa.com, but it's just a splash page.

5. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Fedex just lost and refound my acacia fretless custom 5 and I had another custom 6 with fanned frets that I regrettably sold. I have nothing but the highest compliments for those basses. Matt doesn't make them anymore, but I hear of some floating around the used market from time to time.

As mentioned, Guitar Villa might have one, and I hear tell that Jim Rubio at atlantabassgallery.com might have a used one. They can be hard to find, there are alot of hardcore collectors out there. I listed mine on bassgear.com and had a bidding war within 30 minutes!! They are really really well made, beautiful exotic woodwork, and they sound gorgeous. My fretless, although it needs a new preamp, has an outrageous sweet acoustical tone.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I own an Acacia Custom 4-string fretless bass. It is the best playing, best sounding and most beautiful instrument I've ever played.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm thinking about selling it now, though; as I am moving towards ERB. I 've only played my 7-string recently.

7. Interestingly enough, just last year I bought an Acacia GRB (Gruv?) 4 string fretless from Guitar Villa. It didn't seem to match up with the information that the blue book had though- it has a gorgeous transparent black finish, as opposed to the natural one they mention, and it is simply the best jazz bass i've ever played.

8. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I love these basses!! Got three and looking for more.

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    That would be my bass, and it has been sold for quite some time now.

Matt's basses were true works of art, but I just didn't agree with Matt's philosophy on electronics...I'm definetley an active EQ fan, and Matt wasn't, and I just didn't have the heart to modify. At one point I talked to Matt about an EQ swap, and he said that he would accomodate that, but by the time I took him up on it, he had changed his email address, or was no longer responding to the old Acacia email address. It's too bad that Matt doesn't build anymore because I would certainly have him build me a custom...but with an EQ.

10. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    My fretless, built in '96 had lane poor humbuckers and RMC saddles in the bridge, both passive, which I ran into a little outboard box matt made. It had a demeter 3 band preamp and a bartolini 3 band preamp with separate ins/outs. It was a little awkward getting used to, but the options of having two separate outputs, being able to use either preamp for either signal or both into one, or running it all passive was very cool. I got tired of all the cords and stuff and replaced it with an onboard RMC preamp which is OK, but has no EQ.

My 6 had a E-retro preamp which he was using installing on some of his newer basses and that worked really well.

11. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR

I have the John East preamps in all of my Acacia's. Sorry Gene, I drilled a hole in the top of the Bubinga bass you sold me. God I really LOVE it now...with those Lane Poors!! :bassist:

I didn't want to do it myself but Matt is out of it and I figured I could make it turn out okay and it did. Those Lanes really "bark" now. Thanks again for the great deal.

12. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Jake,

In my experience with RMC's I have found the Bartolini piezo buffer alone with some onboard eq worked best. Also, if you want to change anything on your Acacia, contact Bill Conklin about your bass. I have played on many of his basses with piezo bridges and they have all sounded GREAT, and he may be able to give you some ideas.

13. Any particular reason he stopped making basses? This info is great guys, please keep it coming...maybe i'll have to make a purchase this christmas :hyper:

14. The Blue Book is a fountain of mis-information. According the them, my '76 fretless rick 4001 is worth $4500!

15. yeah well i've figured that much out. that being said, does anyone here have any info on them?

16. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland

I guess the buy it now price is in the right ballpark for the instrument, but IMHO I would look for a more refined Acacia. YMMV.

This looks like a very early Acacia to my eyes based on the headstock shape and the way the body core is showing through on the rear. I bought my bass in fall 93 and these details were more sorted out by that point. However, he was still using EMGs and Kahler when I got mine.

Also, most of his instruments that I have seen have wenge in their necks as the main wood. If you go the the "gallery of basses" at thelowend.net you will see what I mean.

Brian Barrett may be able to tell you more as he seems to have had this instrument in his shop at one point. (See the last photo)

17. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I agree with all of the above. I ended up selling mine because of the pickups. In retrospect, very dumb. Hey, I was 18. :rollno:

I would also gladly order a custom bass from Matt. Maybe we can get him to start again. Surely his child is off to preschool by now :D

18. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Dude, if you want to start a "Get Matt Building" campain, I am there!!

19. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Right with you on that, Dan!

Did you end up stringing my old Acacia EADGC? Like we talked, I have a feeling by the way the nut was cut, I think it was meant to be strung that way.