Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can I find music?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Dvorak, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Dvorak

Dvorak Guest

Dec 17, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Does anybody know where I can find intermediate/beginner bass music, either on the internet or in stores (in Canada)? I've bought a couple things of sheet music, but one was too easy and the other *way* to hard. I'm going to keep trying though.
    Something sort of off-topic; I found music on the internet for bass, but it has a low low C, lower than the E string. Is it possible to play that?

Thanks

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Music is pretty easy to find on the Internet, but I don't have any good recommendations for you.

There are basses with 5 strings, low C extensions, etc. that allow the notes below C to be played. General practice is to play the low notes an octave up in the bass section on basses that don't have access to these notes.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  4. Dvorak

Dvorak Guest

Dec 17, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

Do you know any specific songs that would be good for an intermediate-beginner?

I got some music in the mail today :) The part of L'Elephant from Carnaval des Animaux. Looks good so far!

5. I can check in my repetoire if you indicate more precisely what pieces you already play, just have an idea of your level end interests.

Try Marie Dare´s Menuet (Yorke Ed.), which is
    lovely and excellent for the bass, or
    Ever Gate´s "Night Song", both for bass and piano.

I´ll have to check, but I think one piece to have fun is by Lucas Drew (Sonatina No.2).

In the catalogue of Yorke Ed. they give some musical and technical info about the pieces as well
    as a technical quotation.