Where can I find parts for Aguilar TH500 amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jlr, May 13, 2018.

1. jlr

jlr

Jan 15, 2006
    Rocheport, Missouri
    Hi,
    I bought a nice, used Tone Hammer 500 amp earlier this year. Played one gig with it and dropped the sucker when I was packing it away. Yeah, it landed hard.
    Hooked it up the next day and there's a horrible, loud distortion coming from it, so I take it to a tech. They said it needs a control board.
    They are having trouble finding parts for the amp. My thought is that they might not be a bona fide Aguilar repair center and that's why they can't get the parts.
    Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
    Thanks, Jim

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    SJan3 and jlr like this.
  3. I don't know how it works at Aguilar, but if they won't sell to your tech because he is not an authorized repair center, how would anyone else (who is not authorized) get parts?

As an electronics tech myself, I would be wary of the diagnosis.
    I would not purchase repair arts based on someone else's diagnosis.
    This should go as a double warning to non technicals.

You might end up just buying a lot of expensive stuff and never get a proper repair.
    This even applies if you buy the parts and have the tech, who told you it needed those parts do the work.
    There may be more than just those parts or may turn out it wasn't those parts.

If the tech replaces the board and it still doesn't work, he could say the parts you bought were faulty.
    When in reality he is basing that on the same wrong diagnosis he made in the first place.

Furthermore, as a tech, I would not ask a customer to purchase parts for me. I need to know the source of my supplier.

This is all why you should have this amp looked at by an authorized Aguilar service tech/shop.
    You know it will be fixed right, the work that was done will likely carry some guarantee, and in the long run you may be money ahead.

Good luck with getting your amp fixed.

jlr, BassmanPaul and agedhorse like this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Your authorized tech would get the parts directly from Aguilar.

I agree with this because it insures that your amp gets repaired right the first time and you have a repair that has a warranty.

The alternative is to send it directly to the manufacturer if they offer this service.

SJan3 and jlr like this.
  5. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    have you sought an authorized tech?
    if yokure in the Los Angeles area, I can PM you whom NOT to use.
    call Aguilar directly, I've been dealing with them for years and they're super helpful.

6. jlr

jlr

Jan 15, 2006
    Rocheport, Missouri
    Sorry it took me this long to get back on this post.
    The shop I took the Aguilar to is a place where I've done a lot of business. They have a new repair tech has worked in a shop where I get my Eden gear repaired. That designated Eden repair shop has gone out of business. The owner has cancer pretty bad.
    Well, this fella who worked in the Eden repair shop diagnosed it for me. I have no reason to believe his diagnosis isn't correct. And I was told second hand (by another employee) that they cannot get the parts.
    I guess I will try and contact Aguilar.
    Thanks, Jim

7. jlr

jlr

Jan 15, 2006
    Rocheport, Missouri
    This guy never asked me to buy parts. That's just his diagnosis. It is however, someone who has worked on my Eden gear in the past. I don't know why he can't find parts, and I am guessing when I say maybe he's not a designated Aguilar repair man.
    I would be skeptical of anyone asking me to buy the parts.
    Thanks, Jim

8. jlr

jlr

Jan 15, 2006
    Rocheport, Missouri
  9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Just because he worked in an authorized shop doesn't make him authorized. That's the problem, and likely why he can't obtain the parts himself.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022