Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can I find sound examples of vintage amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Simski, Feb 20, 2005.

1. I've searching for a new amp for the past six months and I've been looking at the Fender Bassman 100, Music Man HD130 and Ampeg V4B but since it's Ebay, I can't try the amps and I don't know for sure how they sound. Does anybody where I can find examples of how these amps sound? Or if you're really nice perhaps record a couple of samples for me?

2. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    One idea would be to find songs that used those amps. I don't know any that specifically used those amps but there are songs that i can think of that have a stereotypical tone of a certain type of amp on it.

3. Okay, the only songs where I know for sure that there is a Bassman is the songs from Let It Be but I don't if that is the typical sound of the bassman.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    The only way I think you're gonna know what they sound like is by playing through them yourself. So much other stuff goes into the recording process that I think it would be next to impossible to identify an amp by the sound of a recording.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +587

very hard indeed. To this day guitar players modify their vintage marshall plexi amps to try to sound like EVH on Van Halen 1 and 2. Not too many of them realize a good part of the sound he got on that album was due to the gain on the UA mic preamps used when micing cabs being turned up to the point where the mic pres were starting to distort.

6. My problem is that everybody recommends something and says that sounds warm, gritty or the classic whatever sound but I have no what that actually means other than it must be somewhat near good. So it would have been nice if there had been some samples on the net.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    is there a reason you want a vintage amp? why not go try amps available in your area?

as i just posted somewhere else, soundclips of a cabinet or amplifier thru speakers arent really usefull. the mic and playback speakers affect the tone too much, and the fact that the mp3 type formats are less than cd quality also hurts. soundclips of basses and preamps recorded direct are not perfect, but a lot more useful (IMO)
    www.basstasters.com has a lot of soundclips of preamps and basses recorded direct, but i don't think they have any clips of cabinets or miced amps.

8. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    You'll find that a head will sound different with different basses, or different cabs, at different levels in different rooms, or played by different bassist. I have a Musicman HD130 head that's plugged into a Hartke 410XL, and it sounds really good. But maybe it's not a tone you'd like, or that would be appropriate for the kind of material or the band you're playing with, and it IS heavy! I actually gig with my Ampeg B100R because I can singlehandedly move it to the job.

9. Hmm, I was considering buying a Music Man HD130 because it supposedly was a lot like Bassman with more power. But then again it is impossible to check out how they sound if they aren't around.

10. lpdeluxe

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I wish there were some way around it...but there's no substitute for YOU playing YOUR BASS with YOUR TECHNIQUE through THAT AMP.
    That's the only way you'll hear what it's like.

11. Yeah, I guess so. Think I'm gonna take a chance on this one.

12. lpdeluxe

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    It's also real useful if there's a good tube amp tech handy. We have one here and he has worked on all my tube gear, including the Silvertone Twin Twelve.

13. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Simski

Where are you located? I've got an HD130 you could play with if you're near Buffalo...

14. Damn it, I live in Denmark, Northern Europe. But thanks anyway, that would have been great.

15. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Yep, a bit of a hike. Keep in mind there are two versions of the HD130. The earlier one with a 12AX7 as a driver/splitter seems to be the preferred version. I have read that it can be identified in a pic by looking for a script logo (one-thirty) rather than numeric (130).

Good luck in your quest for tone!

16. lpdeluxe

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Which is which? I just checked mine (it has the 12AX7) and the model logo is "HD-130" in a square medallion. I've never seen an organized history of the MM amps, but I have always assumed the all solid state ones were the later models.

17. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    The "one-thirty" vs. "130" is a good guide, but it's not ALWAYS the case. There were problems with that tube being in the circuit that was sometimes causing the transformer to go out (BAD!!!), so Musicman redesigned that tube out of the circuit. Musicman already has chassis' built up, so some of the transition models have the spot for the tube, but there's a small diamond-shaped plate covering it up. And, customers were able to get their amps "upgraded" either by choice or because they had problems with that tube, so there are "one-thirty" amps out there that have been modified with a kit that Musicman provided and you'll once again see that little diamond-shaped plate covering up the spot where that tube used to be.

I dig the HD-130 amps...doesn't get muddy, but there's lots of low end available. It does have a solid state preamp (both early and later models), so you may not dig the overdriven tone of the amp; just keep the preamp volume reasonable and boost the master volume...good stuff! It's not the cleanest sounding amp, but that's not what we're looking for with a tube amp, right? Another tip: plug your bass into channel one and then run a short cable from the second input of channel one into channel two...now you've got a little more tonal variation as both channels will interact with one another and it seems to sound a little fatter to me.