Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can I find whole arrangements?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Cornbread, Feb 14, 2001.

1. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I'm in a jazz/funk band at my school, and we have only a few songs in our playlist. The moderator recommended "Sir Duke" by Stevie Wonder but doesn't know where to find the sheet music. Where could I find the whole arrangement (Bb instrument, Eb, bass, and we'll probably have to make a separate arrangement for guitar)? Also, where could I find the score for Weather Report's "Birdland"?

Finally, does anyone have any ideas for jazz songs that we (drums, bass, 2 guitars, trumpet, alto sax) could play? I know that's a generic question, but give me some ideas. Right now we play "Listen Here", a funked up "Watermelon Man", and a Phishy "2001" along with typical rock stuff at basketball games. Thanks

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Try Mingus' "Boogie Stop Shuffle"(from Ah Um)...it's pretty much a Blues but has a pretty happenin' riff that sounds cool when the guitar, bass, & horns are doin' their thing. Coltrane's "Mr. PC"(from Giant Steps) is "similiar"(that is, a 12-bar Blues with a cool riff).
    Coltrane's "Afro Blue"(in 3/4) is also cool & attainable...

Also, check out Liquid Soul's version of Miles' "All Blues".

I have an arrangement of Wayne Shorter's "Footprints" done in a funky 4/4 vibe(the tune is supposed to be in 6)...my old band never got around to doin' it. If interested, lemme know, & I'll point you to a place where you can sample it.

What is it about "Sir Duke" that you need?
    ...you can always try "I Wish"(a lot "easier"). ;)

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I sympathise with CornBread - I have done the same thing - scoured the web and every book shop in London for arrangements for "Jazz Band". They are very, very hard to come by. I did find a "Yellowjackets" books which was very good, but most of the songs are obscure and hard!

The other thing I found was Horace Silver's book on arranging for Jazz band - which has a couple of great tunes arranged for all instruments and gives you a start in doing this.

I came to the conclusion that the only thing to do is - do it your self. The band I'm in has trumpets, saxes, flutes and trombones as well as rhythm section and we searched for "ready-made" arrangements everywhere to get started - but nothing. 3 of the band now have score writing software and we do the arrangements in the band - we tried "Another Star" by Stevie Wonder - which is not too hard and now have quite a few unique arrangements.

The only other way - which we have done a few times, is to pay a professional arranger. We found somebody who does this and charges about £100 a time. We suggested a few tunes and he came back a few weeks or months - for the harder ones - with worked-out arrangements.

We have also paid Jazz "educators" to come along and help out the band with arrangements etc. It does get expensive but is worth it - the last "workshop" we had was with Alex Wilson, whose band is currently supporting the Afro-Cuban Allstars on tour in Europe.

4. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Thanks for the suggestions, Jim. The problem is that we have limited practice time, so learning new songs is tough. I'd love to do all kinds of stuff, but we need to have written out parts for the horns, and the guitarists can't read notation, which means we spend more time teaching them the riffs and such. Anyway, with Sir Duke, we need to have the trumpet and sax parts written out. I have already learned the bassline and found the horn/bass unison thingy transcribed elsewhere. So, basically we'd need just the horn parts because there isn't a guitar part.

BTW, I've attached the bass riff I mentioned.