Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can i find wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by myfinalvibe, Sep 27, 2005.

1. myfinalvibe

myfinalvibe

Sep 27, 2005
    i am building a bass for my senior project at school, and i am having trouble finding a place to buy wood. What wood is best for slap (that nice bright and clean pop)? If anybody knows where i can get a peice of wood big enough please let me know.

2. I don't know that there's a "best" for slap. It depends what sort of slap tone you want. You also have to consider what electronics, etc are going into the bass.

As for where to get wood, I like Gallery Hardwoods.

3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    As far as I'm concerned, nothing does the slap and pop sound better than a slab of ash with some jazz pickups in it. Put fancy-scmancy top on to taste. Maple neck and finger board(the blocks and binding keep in the funk, too).

As geoff stated, there is no "right." Thats just my "flavor of the month," i guess.

4. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
  5. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    If you do a yahoo or google search using a mix of "luthier wood, body blanks, " etc., you'll get hits on a number of places where you can order wood from. I mention this to be fair to all of the wood sellers. In my opinion, Larry at Gallery Hardwoods is a good person to work with and buy from, and is a cool guy to boot. He's a wealth of knowledge, and can steer you in the right direction.

As far as wood suggestions for slap, the other guys here have that one covered already. Good luck!

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Fresh steel strings. And frets.

That's where the slap sound comes from.

If you wan't wood recommendations, then ash, hard ash, maple, and I'll even go as far as to say bubinga.

7. I have never ordered from here, but I am considering it because their prices on things like neck blanks are so good!

http://www.exoticwoods.com/Default.htm

If you guys have ordered from there let me know.

Oh yeah, you can't beat Larry's selection of wood.

8. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Not trying to be a jerk....But what about the lumberyard? Most towns have a hardwood lumberyard. Think about....$80 for a body blank....or $80 dollars for four entire basses made from mohagany?

I wouldn't order any wood except those I couldn't find personally in a lumberyard.

Chad

9. A lot of the wood in a lumber yard is nowhere near instrument grade. Lots of knots and pinholes, etc. Even the stuff you can find at Woodcraft is not exactly what you wnat in an instrument. Not to mention that most of these places we are talking about have dried the wood either in a kiln or just by air drying for years. These things are very important when choosing wood for an instrument.

10. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    How else do you dry wood?

Much of the wood you'll find at your average hardwood dealer is perfectly suitable for instrument building. Some of it should be left for someone else to struggle with. Things will go best if you know what you're looking for. If you don't, then you pay a guy like Larry to do all the searching/sorting/cleaning up/throwing defects away for you.