Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can I get a big box in Illinois (to ship a 4x10 cab)?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by johnbegone, Apr 21, 2005.

1. johnbegone

johnbegone

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, I just sold my Ampeg 4x10 on eBay but I don't have a box to ship it in. I live in Decatur, IL. If anyone has a box big enough to pack this up in and lives within driving distance please let me know asap. Thanks guys.

-john

2. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    If you have a Guitar Center near you then just go in and ask them if they have any boxes. Chances are they have a ton that they're only going to throw away. I got an empty box from them to ship a bass in.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Go to a moving company - I'll bet a wardrobe box could be cut down, or they may have a dish box that'd work.

If I were you, I'd invest in a sheet of the pink or blue styrofoam insulation to cut into sheets surrounding the cab...

4. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

You might also try a large furniture store. You could probably find a fridge/freezer box that could be cut down to work. And it's usually free!

Lots of places either burn or recycle, so check in advance. They will sometimes even have packing peanuts or foam that can be had as well.

It's what I ususally do when I need to ship a big piece. Then again, an ex-bandmate owns a furniture store, so I don't have any problem with the management. Iv'e never had any problem finding far more than what I needed to pack stuff there.

dcr

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    When I sold my EBS rig, I went down to the local U-Haul store, bought a box that was slightly larger, than used a ton of bubble-wrap to wrap the cab so tight it fit snugly in the box. It wasn't perfect, but that cab was so well protected it could've withstood anything!

6. johnbegone

johnbegone

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    U-haul is an idea. I went dumpster diving yesterday after calling all the music stores around asking for boxes. Found one that would've maybe worked, but I didn't remember that ithad rained earlier..... no go for that box. :(

Are there other places like U-haul that would sell big boxes?

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You could also check the UPS Store, if there's one in your area.