1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

where can i get a five string tuned e a d g c

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzbasser535, Mar 28, 2006.

1. jazzbasser535

jazzbasser535

Feb 25, 2006
    I'm looking to getting a five string that's tuned EADGC but I don't know where to look or what companies make them. Can anyone give me any advice or tips?
    Thanks

2. TBalls

TBalls

Mar 18, 2005
    Boston
    I don't know that there are any companies specifically marketing tenor 5-strings. Is there any reason that you can't just re-string a bass you already have? Or at least track down a 5er that you like and then simply re-string it?

3. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me.

Dec 2, 2005
    Edmonton
    Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about this, but couldn't you buy any five string and then change the strings to tune it however you want?

-Huge

EDIT: Oops, too slow.

4. BSR6P-Bob

BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    Pick the 5 string of your choice and let your local luthier recut a nut and set it up for an E -C tuning. Been done many times.

5. jazzbasser535

jazzbasser535

Feb 25, 2006
    yeah the nut was what i was worried about, so if there were any that already had the nut

6. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    a friend of mine had a Zon made with that tuning... so I assume any custom luthier would set up a bass for you that way if you wanted.

Regardless, it isn't expensive to get a new nut cut, so I'd go that route, unless you're in the market for a fancy custom job.

7. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Find one of these.
    fenderV.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure Carvin offers an option of EADGC instead of BEADG.

But as noted, a good tech can set up any fiver to do EADGC.

9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    You may even find that you don't need the nut recut. On a whim I tried switching my fretless Peavey Cirrus 5 from BEADG to EADGC and the action was perfect--no buzzes or weirdness even when digging in. I switched back but if I had decided to stay with the high C I would have considered, um, fiddling with my nut.:eyebrow:

10. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Carvin has built two E-C's for me. The one in 88 they struggled with, now just fine. really not a big diff....

11. actually i don't even think you need a new nut...when i got my brice 6 string, it stayed tuned EADGCF at all times, and it had the stock nut...the trick is to just get E-C strings and string them up!