Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can i get a footswitch for my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Soapbox Prophet, May 18, 2001.

1. hey,
    about 6 months ago i bought an 800 watt 1982 Peavey Mark IV bass amp from a pawn shop for $250 and its awesome, but the problem i am having is that soon i plan on getting a new speaker cab and I realized that I might have use for the footswitch which did not come with my amp. Is there a way I could get one for my amp? or does anyone have one. Its the "Automix Footswitch". alright, thanks!
    chris murray

2. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    What sort of socket is there for the footswitch ? and what do you expect to be switchable ? I haven't been able to find any specfic specs on that amp as its not in Peaveys FAQ, but if its got a single 1/4" jack for the footswitch (probably the channel select) you should be able to just plug just about any latched footswitch in. Marshall make them pretty cheap.

Post back some details and I'll see what I can do.

3. Hey,
    well I know my amp is relatively old, but I do know that all the info you would need on it are on the peavey site in the old manual section. I got the manual for it and printed it out, but I lost it. Its a weird socket....almost like a PS/2 port for a mouse but larger. The footswitch was intended to switch between channels, and I can have it set up to run both speakers in tandem, or separate i believe. but i am not sure, considering i havent ever seen the thing. but my amp does have two sets of controls for each output if used in tandem. alright thanks so much, hope to hear from you soon.
    chris murray

4. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Yep - just spotted it. I'll download it and have a look through. I'll post something once I've had a look

5. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Ok - had a look at the manual. Hmm not much there in the way of anything useful. I've got a PC I'm building here for the local peavey dealer - I'll ask him when he comes to pick it up tommorow :)

Funnily enough I think I know someone who used to own one of these - I'll give him a call (he might have the f/s still)

6. thanks so much for the help, thatd be awesome if you could find one for me. my band is recording this thursday and I am sure I could find some use for it.... alright thanks again!
    chris murray

7. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I have a Ashdown amp I got without a foot switch. I built one VERY easily. It is actually two switches in one box. One for the mute and one for the sub-harmonizer. I may build a third, single foot switch for the EQ. This dual foot switch would work for any combination of functions on the Ashdowns. I would think the Peavey one might be similar although I'm not sure about switching channels? The Ashdown ones just complete a circuit. This is just like touching two wires together. You will need to drill holes and solder.

So I went to Radio Shack (yuck, but it's convenient) and got a plain project box. They had many sizes. I got two 1/4" mono phono jacks that are chassis mount type. I got two SPST switches. (single pull single throw). They were heavy duty feeling but also the only choice. I had to drill holes for the jacks and switches but some boxes might have holes. The wire I used was plain speaker wire. Just solder wire from the switch to the jack on both sides and repeat for the second or even third switch. As I said you are just touching two wires together using a switch. It cost $14 US. I had seen a letter from a guy who did this using lights as well but I went really simple.

Hope this helps and I havn't over looked somthing.