Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where Can I get a "good" cheap bow

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by apfroggy0408, Dec 4, 2004.

1. apfroggy0408

apfroggy0408

Jan 21, 2004
    texas
    Im in 8 grade at the moment and i just dont like the school bows. Mine has like half the number of strings a regular bow has. Should i just re hair it or get a new bow so no one else can use it and destroy my strings?
    Thank you for your help.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Be careful with getting a Cheap or BAD Bow. Have your Bass teacher help you buy it. It is 'as' if not 'more' important in the learning process than the Bass itself. If the Bow is too light and/or poorly balanced, you will develope BAD habits and technique while you compensate for the poor performance of the Bow.Even if you get a 10K Bow and don't have proper Bow training, you can easily develope poor Bowing habits.

When I was much younger, around 19-20, I went to a Teacher recommended by the Principal of the NY Philarmonic. It was his top Student and the Principal would not take me as he was booked solid. I spent over a Year on correcting my Bowing muscles and correcting bad habits I had develpoed over the Years. One of the first thing he did was to take my Guisseppi Vitalie Bow to the Kitchen and heat and re-bend the Stick. He was also a Luthier! After about a year or so with him He left town to work in a Symphony. After a few years, he came back and got into the NY Philarmonic when there was an opening. So I guess he was good...no?....

When he first left, I calld back the Principal and asked if I could study with him. I figured now that I've worked with his top student I would be ready for him. Instead he told me to call yet another student of his IN the Orchestra. That student, a Pro in the Orchestra auditioned and intervieved me in the Locker room of Lincoln Center. I was already a Pro player myself in NY for several years at that time but since I wasn't working towards an Orchestral Career, I was refused but recommended to yet another Player in the Orchestra that liked Jazz and would accept me. Talk about NY attitude......

In my first lesson with him I asked, Hows my Bow technique?..He answered, "looks fine to me" !!.. Whew... My hard work paid off..... but could have been easily avoided in part if I had never developed the bad habits to begin with.. Part of it was starting with a Cheap Light, poorly balanced bow. I just Made the Bow work and when I got a good Bow later on, the Bad habits were already in my muscles.....

With my Bowing now accepted by my NY Philarmonic teacher, we went on to music and left hand studies.. I did the Eccles and then the Dragonetti as well as other things to develope my left hand technique. This was 1973 and I was playing full time doing a B'way show (SeeSaw, music by Cy Coleman.. you know..he wrote 'Witchcraft' etc.) and strating to get Jingles and other work in town as I was a doubler, good reader, and could play almost anything at that time on or off the paper....

So.. Get a good teacher and a Bow that wont Hurt your playing. Not for nothing, but you need someone else to help you pick the Bow when you are first starting. Unfortunatly, school teachers may not have the playing experience to help you decide. Try a local Orchestra Player/teacher.... It will pay off in the future.....

My friend Don Z. out here on TB has one of Bob Gs Bows so you can ask him about it. I havn't seen it but Don's a good player and can advise you on it..(Don always uses my Bow when he comes over to try Basses) TB is also a great source for working and retired Pros and Ametuers with alot of playing, and teaching experience... But a 1 to 1 with a local pro Bass teacher would be best.........