Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where can I get a large-ish amp stand?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by addylewis, Oct 29, 2005.

1. ok, I've not upgraded my amp yet - but I've been advised I should get me an amp stand for gigs...anyone else use them?

2. What are you trying to accomplish with the amp stand?

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    amp stands are cool for guitar amps (especially smallish 1x12 combos) to get the sound closer to the guitar player's head and to project into the room a bit better and closer to the audience's ear level.

for the most part bass players don't use stands. for one, our amps are generally heavy. With a small combo amp (like a 1x10 or 1x12) a stand can help in the same way that a guitar player's can, but there are some drawbacks. Placing a cab on the floor or in a corner can take advantage of "coupling" where the bass response of the amp can be enhanced. (sometimes it helps to get the amp off of the floor if there is too much bass response). Unfortunately, it is the smaller bass amps that would fit on a stand that benifit the most from the enhanced bass response that floor placement provides, and in many cases they desperately need it.

I have placed my amp up on top of a road case, bass drum case, crates or chairs in cases where i used one smaller cabinet and i needed to get the amp off of the floor to reduce coupling or where i really needed it near my ears to help hear on an odd sounding stage. I can't think of any amp stands that i would have trusted to hold my cab, as it was deeper than guitar amps, and as the majority of the weight was towards the front of the cab due to the speaker being mounted on the front. Certainly there are guitar combos that are just as heavy as my BE 15, but they are much shallower and don't have the center of gravity so close to the front. I'd be afraid that my cab would topple off of the stands that are optimized to hold guitar combos which are considerably shallower.

4. +1 to every point.

5. Do you think putting the amp on a roadcase or similar box does a good job of coupling(to the floor, etc)?

6. Not really. Helps to keep the drivers close to the floor also, I think. Has to do with reflections off the floor as well as, maybe more than the coupling the actual cab vibrations to the floor.

Randy

7. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    I've got a Quickloc that I use. Puts the cab right at head level when practicing. Also raises it up to gut level for gigs. Holds 180 lbs. Don't need the coupling effect as my cabs put out enough bass as it is. But sometimes I do need the cab rasied up so I can hear it or to get it up over peoples heads for projection. Sturdy on concrete/solid stages but not on carpet.