Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can I get a low cost reliable powerful amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by punk4string, Aug 31, 2000.

1. punk4string

punk4string

Aug 21, 2000
    I need a powerful, loud bass amp. My cost range is 150-300$. This amp is for band practice/gigs. Please help!

2. KampKomfort

KampKomfort

Jul 27, 2000
    I was looking for the same recently, and I decided on getting a used power amp (2-channel Sunn PA amp). It is rated at 700 watts @ 8ohms when bridged. It was definitely in your price range, and I love it. I run active pick-ups, so I could potentially run my bass directly into it, but I use a Trace-Elliot SMX Dual compressor as a pre-amp/compressor. Works great! And the sound isn't colored by a pre-amp--the way I like it.

This approach might not fit the sound you are going for, but I got clean, loud for cheap. Hope this helps.

KK

3. punk4string

punk4string

Aug 21, 2000
    I was looking for a used amp, one without a built-in OD/Distortion/Fuzz, just a clean, unfetered sound. But, what should I look for? I see you found a Sunn PA, but does the PA system carry the lower octaves as well as a normal bass amp? I run a passive, massive humbucker.

4. KampKomfort

KampKomfort

Jul 27, 2000

I use 1X12 and 1X15 cabinets with it, and I haven't had any trouble with low-end (dropped D and down a half-step). It really lets the sound of the bass through, so that's good if you are happy with the output of your bass. Since you are looking for transparent sound production, this is about as clean as it gets. I also like the clear high end I get out of a full-range amp.

You would need a pre-amp or something to bring the output of your passive pickups up to a reasonable level. I would definitely recommend trying out a similar setup before buying...it's a unique setup, but I've been very pleased. Good luck!

KK