1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where can I get a new Danelectro Longhorn?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by throw_this_away, Apr 23, 2006.

1. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    Where can I get a new Danelectro Longhorn?

I see the adds on the webpage... but I seen no details. I am in Canada... anyone know a danelectro distributor?

2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
  3. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
  4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I here the new Jerry Jones Long Horns are excellent as well.

5. Ok, hear me out. See if you can find a Hondo longhorn. I think it was called "Hondo II" or something? The bass player Larry Boothroyd from "Victims Family" in Sonoma County, CA had one with EMGs in it and it sounded awesome through a Boogie Bass 400. It is shaped identically to the old longhorns, but made from solid wood.

6. phreddy

phreddy

Mar 14, 2006
    colorado springs
    Those are funny looking
    the guitar player in my band has the jackass video and there’s a "skit" they do on one of them called heavy metal wakeup but its lame because supposedly he goes in this guys room to wake him up with a "heavy metal " solo but its jonny Knoxville playing a danelectrico long horn bass and they dubbed a guitar solo over it, freeking lame
    the worst part is my guitar player swears that it’s a four string guitar

7. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    :scowl: Poor phil (margera).

8. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    They had a longhorn at my local GC last time I was there, it felt like a toy. Pretty good tone though, terrible looks.

9. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    $499 for a new Danno Longhorn??? I didn't pay a whole lot more for a new Jerry Jones Longhorn 4 a few years back. I'd be looking at used JJ's unless the quality of the Danno's has come way up from the last batch. The last Danno reissues were great for the money, but were a whole lot less expensive than that.

The HondoII longhorn is pretty cool, but won't sound anything like a Danelectro. The Hondo is a solid body, with a Precision style pickup. and if memory serves me right, is a 34" scale bass. The Danno is a hollow 30" short scale.

10. I've put in my order with Steve Barr for one in blueburst. He's on vacation until 5/22 so send him an email. Once he's back and I get my invoice I'm sending my Paypal ASAP!

Jeff

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Agreed, for $499 it's got tough competition from Jerry Jones, esp. since the new ones are more like the current Jerrys than vintage Danos.

12. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    Hey, my friend (guitar player) has a danelectro longhorn in black that just sits around. I've been hearing a fair amount about these things. I heard one live an it sounded pretty good, but its short scale and ugly as all heLL. Is this something I should try and buy from him if he's not gonna use it? Oh, and it has a single rosewood bridge saddle, like an acoustic guitar.

13. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    Yeah 499$ was higher than expected (well list is 599, but I got shipping free and a deal on a hard case) but used 1st reissue longhorns are going for 350-400$, JJ's up to 600$, so I figured I would just go with new (and it's improvments... even if minor).

I thought about Jerry Jones but I hear that they are really a different beast aside from looks. I also noticed that the new longhornds seem to take after the JJ's.

And I agree that the longhorn is one funny looking bass. But for some reason I have always been attracted to it. I like fenders, rics, and... GULP... longhorns.:D

14. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    Lost of new longhorns popping up on ebay now. Stores must be starting to get them. EDIT: Ouch, I did not realize that JJ Longhorns are about 1k new!