1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where can I get a radius guide for stingray?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rob_thebassman, Feb 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    I've been looking into string radius guides, and I can't find one that matches my stingrays radius of 11'', where can I find one or is there an alternative?

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Most pro techs use a six inch ruler graduated in 64th's of an inch (in the USA). Measure from the top of the last fret on the body end of the neck to the underside of the string. The neck sets the radius for you. Alternatively, you can set the radius at F12.

Generally speaking, when setting the radius the arc is tilted. In other words, there is more clearance allowed for the heaviest string and less for the lightest. For example, 7/64" under a B string and 4/64" under a C string on a six string bass guitar.

megafiddle, Hopkins and JLS like this.
  3. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    I do that, I used d'addario balanced tension 45 60 80 107 with measurements at 17th fret bass side 7/64 and treble 6/64

4. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    You can always make your own. Buy a compass and set it for an 11" radius. Mark on heavy card stock and carefully cut it out.

rob_thebassman likes this.
  5. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    Good advice :)

RSBBass likes this.
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    This 100%

Those radius gauges are pretty useless in my opinion, as if you set each string equally it will naturally follow the radius of the board. Personally I do it all by feel at this point.

lz4005 likes this.
  7. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    Even if it's different gauges?

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Yes, because action is measured to the bottom of the string. The top of string radius does not matter.

megafiddle likes this.
  9. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    Ok bud, thanks for the help :)

10. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Standard radius gauges, with one concave edge, are used for checking fretboard radius. You would not want to use one of these on top of the strings for setting action height.

When a radius gauge is used to set string height, an understring gauge is used. These have a convex edge which can be held against the bottoms of the strings.

The understring gauge is most useful if you do lots and lots of setups, especially on guitar. They offer very little advantage if just setting up your own basses.

To use one of these gauges you have to set the heights of the two outer strings first somehow. The gauge is not used for setting those two outer strings. A scale marked in 64ths would normally be used for that. So with a 4 string bass, you may as well just set the two inner strings with a scale also.

-

202dy and walterw like this.
  11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    just so.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021