where can i get a replacement body for epiphone thunderbird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickname, Feb 21, 2006.

1. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    I recently dropped my epiphone thunderbird and cracked of of the wood where the 1/4 plug goes in. I'm assuming if I want to fix this I will have to get a new body for it. I cant seem to find them anywhere.

Do i sell it the way it is on ebay or something? the guitar still functions its just a messy wound and the 1/4 plug is pushed through the wood.

should i take a picture to show you guys.. perhaps i can fix it myself

ok, so this has turned into an upgrade post. help recommend me some ideas on upgrading my thunderbird!
  2. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    sorry yes i went there, im an idiot. will they paint it to to match the original. and by that point, is it costing me more to fix the guitar than it is to sell it?
  3. stars

Feb 11, 2006

if i m not mistaken, isnt the epiphoen thunderbird bass a set neck ? which means its gonna be one hellluva tough time to remove the neck from the body ?
  4. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    areghhhhhhhhhhh! what do i do?!
  5. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    You're gonna have way more trouble swapping the body than you would just fixing the crack. Ask this in the luthiers forum and I'm sure they'll give you advice on how to fix the crack.

Good luck
  6. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    IMO seeing as the body is $190 at the cheapest, and a paintjob is about $220

and then a replacement bird is about 399 new and probably far cheaper on ebay.

i would say get a new one, unless your bass neck has amazing amounts of sentimental value.

alternatively, you can try fixing it, but that is totally up to you.

and no the epiphone is not set neck, the elitist is either set neck or neck through but the standard cheaper one is bolt on. the gibson and tokai ones are also set neck. Ive played an epiphone and it has a metal plate on the back with the epiphone logo on it with 4 bolts.
  7. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    ok.. so heres the deal. i never use the thing. so do i try fixing it up, and selling it cheap? any ideas?
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Guitars can be repaired. You seem to like to sell things instead of making them right. It's not the most expensive repair in the world and shouldn't be a huge hassle.

How about some pictures of the damage?
  9. stars

Feb 11, 2006
    i m defintely not qualified to help you with this but maybe this experience can help.

my friend had a squier bullet strat.

his 1/4 inch jack cover fell off due to shoddy workmanship and that the screw mounts( the drilled screw cavity, not sure if my terminology is correct) was not properly fitted.

what he did was to use wood filler, plug out to holes, let it harden and later just screw it back in.

the woodfiller is softer than the rest of the wood, allowing the jack cover to be remounted.

hope this helps ? :)
  10. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    thanks for all of your help guys.
    the thing is i don't use this anymore, so i want to fix it up and sell it. I just don't know if i should attempt to do it myself, or if i should spend money getting someone else to do it. i don't want to loose money from the guitar but i understand the value has decreased and i wont make as much.

i'll post some pictures tonight (at the office)
  11. gaffster

Jan 20, 2006
    "Your children..Sell them to me.."
    (sorry abouit that, but jb why did you have to die so young?)

Please think about a price too..
    I would like to do complete make-over on a t-bird
    I could come up with 50% of the going cost at musicians friend if it doesn't look too bad.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

13. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    so you think i should look into upgrading my thunderbird?
    I currently own a Fender Percision and the thunderbird. I was going to sell both and get a Rickenbacker 4003.
  14. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    And I think you'd need to throw in an extra couple hundred bucks by my math.