Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can I get a truss rod spacer for a Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pd_5string, Sep 25, 2002.

1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I have a Fender FMT where the truss rod is maxed out. I have cleaned the nut and threads with naptha and applied mach ine oil, but alas, the nut still will only turn so far.

Does anyone know where I can get a truss rod spacer for the J-bass?

Thanks!

2. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    pd,

What do you mean by a truss rod spacer?

Cheers.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    A standard washer from the local hardware store is all I've ever used, PD. You may have to use more than one to get the required thickness.

Pkr2

4. nivagues

nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    pd,

If you're talking about washers, be careful when selecting!!!

If the outside diameter is snug with the diameter of the recess for the truss nut, you wont get the thing out again if you want to.

If the inside diameter is a snug fit over the truss rod then it can snag on the thread and possibly damage it and, again, you wont be able to get the friggin thing out if you want to.

Don't know what it's like where you are but here in Australia, it's pretty hard to get a washer with the right dimensions. It can get expensive when they sell in packs of 20. Nope, they wont open the pack for you and the dimensions on the pack are not accurate, let alone giving you inside diameter dimensions. If I'm after washers I usually have to pull my sons toys apart.

Use a silicon based lubricant on the thread, as opposed to a petroleum based one, and try not to let it have contact with the wood.

Cheers.

PS. Fender is presently designing a washer for this problem.

5. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    GREAT advice.

I tried to make one out of a extra heavy gauge pick, and thought I had the size right and spent 1n hour and a ahalf tr ying to dig it back out. I finally succeeded, but man what a pain. At least I could break the plastic eventually, but with a metal washer, there would be no way.

I was at the hardware store (Home Depot) and could not find a washer with the right dimensions.

Maybe I will give Fender a call to see if they can send me something.