1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where can I get an INDESTRUCTIBLE dog leash?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mattsk42, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Our dog chews through every single leash she has, and YES, she gets a lot of daily exercise. Multiple times a day, with plenty of food and water.

Is there any kind of leash or material that could be made into a leash that a dog couldn't chew through?

Not really interested in training techniques, we are trying all of those and will continue that.

Is there some kind of spray like lemon juice that would work?

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Metal chain?

3. Good plan.

4. My thought as well.

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    That would be the one.

6. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Yup. A 250 - 300 lbs rated chain will do a pretty good job. Make sure the links are welded and not just bent, in which case it will cut everybody and pull hair from both you and your dog.

7. Good idea, any other options?

What about chewing on other stuff? Any tips?

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Chain or training. I'd opt for training, but that's just me.

9. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Buy a new leash and soak it in that stuff you put on your nails to stop biting them.

This, or razor blades.

10. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Go to your local rock climbing supplier and get a long spectra or kevlar sling. That should do the trick with minimal weight.

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Kevlar!

12. You should probably look into horse/cattle stuff .. Or just a plain old steel wire thingie ..

;)

D.Don

13. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    If you train them right you won't have this problem...My dog loves walks so its real easy to get him to behave in order to go on one.

Only put the leash on when it is time to go....they can't wear it in the house or whatever (when my dog sees his leash he knows its either time for a walk or a car ride)

Don't put the leash on till the dog sits

Don't open the front door till he sits, this way he learns the faster he calms down the faster he can go for a walk.

When your walking keep the leash short and the dog at your side, he won't have enough room to bite the leash or misbehave in general.

I did all this with my dog and now I have him on the retractable leash and he doesn't bite or attack it anymore...I does however still stop to smell everything for 2 minutes at a time while I pull at him (he is too old for me to fix that at this point)

14. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Better to train the dog than have the dog train you.

15. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Just file down your dog's teeth while she's sleeping.

16. Barbed wire.

17. Hardware store. Buy a length of plastic-coated wire rope, a couple of clamps and a swivel snap for one end. It'll cost you all of about $5. But remember that the wire is also stronger than your arm!

Then take the dog to obedience school. Dog and owner both need it.

18. just train the dog.

19. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Get a taser,any time she chews something,zap her.

j/k,training I would suggest.Here,psychos who want berserking psycho dogs make their dog wear metal chain.(Cut tails,beaten in the dark etc :mad:)Metal chain is a bad sign on a dog.:meh:

20. true.

leather should be sufficient.