Where can I get an inlay like this?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkasaurus, May 9, 2001.

1. funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Check out the fretboard inlay on this bass:

I was just wondering if one can get custom inlays installed as an aftermarket option. It looks like a cool way to personalize your bass and give it that extra little touch. Kinda like a tatoo. Not that I would get it done to my mim jazz, unless of course it was dirt cheap. My guess is that it would cost more than my bass did :).

So what would your inlay be?

BTW, cool bass, huh? Wish I had the coin to bid.
  2. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    can't help you as to where to get inlays but if you can stretch out with the money, this bass is a good investment, it's the last of 5 basses Michael built to commemorate 5 years of business for MTD.

the initial price was 5500 so if the reserve won't pass 3000 I would consider it a nice scoring :)

anyway this bass was made in march 2000 according to basscentral.com, you can check some even more info about it there (including the original owners name), I wonder though who would want to sell a bass like this but I guess he has his own reasons, anyway if you are currently in the market for an MTD, this one is the bass to have.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

funk - As long as you're willing to part with your instrument for a while, you can have about anything you want put on it in inlay. As you thought, the cost may exceed the instrument's pre-inlay value.

Here's a guy I ran across when I was researching inlay work for a custom; enlarge the pic of that incredible work on the doubleneck....amazing; www.robinsoninlays.com/gallery1/gpage2.html
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    On the auction page it mentions the guy who did the inlay on the MTD. Just happens to be the same guy RB posted a link for...Larry Robinson.

Small world, eh?
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Larry Robinson is arguably the most top notch inlay guy you could find. That's probably why Michael Tobias chose him to do the inlay work on his MTD.
  6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    He does excellent work. I truly dislike inlays. I have no idea why.

JD Lewis' shop (Warrior basses) is capable of truly over the top inlay work. Check out Bass Alone at http://www.bassalone.com/inlays.html too.
  7. rickbass

Shucks. Brad, I had you figured for a "gilt the lily" kind of guy like me, ("...make that with double cheese"). Guess you wouldn't like the custom I've just about got finished spec'ing out for building. It's even got a fleur-de-lis inlay on the body. :D
  8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Elizabeth, I'm comin' to join ya!*

Absolutely not, RB. I don't like sprinkles on my ice cream and I don't want anything on my fretboard:D

That doesn't still my morbid curiousity. Got pics, RB??;)

*Geezer check
  9. funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hey thanks for those links rickbass1 and Brad. Why do all of these inlays use mother of pearl/abalone? I was thinking something with a little more color would be cool. My girlfriend makes really cool stained glass and blown glass stuff with all kinds of trippy colors and designs. Maybe she could design something for me, although I guess glass wouldn't work for an inlay. How would an inlay on the fretboard affect tone? I'm sure the effect of small inlays (like dots) is minimal, but what about something like that "tree of life" inlay on the doubleneck's fretboard?

Tree of Life fretboard inlay
  10. rickbass

funk - I got a catalog from www.stewmac.com which sells several colors of abalone and mother of pearl. In fact, the custom I plan to have the saw ripping into very soon is spec'd with red abalone.

If your sweetie is artistically talented, you could even buy the raw sheets of inlay from them, and have her cut it to her.....er, your design. In fact, if the inlay was going to be too expenisve of mine, I was looking at www.fretware.com as a Plan B for less expensive alternatives, (no it's still the real deal, not decals).

Glass inlay? If you're talking fretboard, you better stock up on Band-Aids. There is a lot of vibration going on in that wood we never perceive.

Inlay doesn't affect tone. The density and hardness of mother of toilet seat and abalone is one reason why it's used.
  11. rickbass

I imagine I'll bask in the self-satisfied, smug, glow of anyone who has a new bass come into the family. I have a neighbor with a scanner.

If this thing turns out like the pics of wood it is spec'd for, you will drool, guaranteed!....And I KNOW you like natural wood as art. :D
  12. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Man, if you liked that inlay, check out www.warriorinstruments.com and you may just crap your pants. I do every time I go to that site. Consequently, I try not to go there very often; I can't afford the laundry bills.