Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can i get fret slots for a convertion from a fretted bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by christopper, Jun 24, 2003.

1. 4 String

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. 5 String

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. 6 String

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I need to know where i can get some fret slots so i can convert my fretted bass into a fretless?
    :confused:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    what exactly are you asking? I don't understand the quetion. Are you trying to fill in the fret slots after converting to fretless, or the other way around?

3. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    You cant buy fret slots. A fret slot is what the fret is put into. So basically if you pull the frets out of your bass then the remaining holes are Fret slots.

4. sorry i mean what you put in the slot after you remove the fret?

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Some people use a wood putty, which is a wood/epoxy compound. Others glue in veneer strips of wood to fit the slot. SOme put straight epoxy in there. There are quite a few ways to fill the slots.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    plastic works ok. Yu can get some from the little packages you get with acoustic guitars. They are usually used as shims for the bridge piece. Or, epoxy, which is harder wo work with, but more durable.

7. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
  8. Elmers Wood Filler, - after filling the slots, wait 5 minutes, clean exces with a clothe and ready (wait more if you are leaving it that way) if not - sand with nº 400 sand paper - then sand with nº 1500 sand paper and apply wood sealler.