Where can I get new electronics for a P Bass??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lo-end, Aug 5, 2001.

  1. lo-end

    lo-end Guest

    Jun 15, 2001
    I need to get new passive electronics for my P bass (everything but the pickups) I need the standard tone and volume knob with all the wires connected and everything.

    Anyone know who makes passive electronics that are prewired for a p bass and where I can get them?
  2. notduane


    Nov 24, 2000
    Stew-Mac has P bass wiring kits (~$15)...pots, cap,
    jack, and wire (no pup). But ya still gotta' solder :(

    WD has the whole magilla - pup and pickguard included - for $150 :( .

  3. jwymore

    jwymore Guest

    Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    The Stew-Mac kit is OK, but IMO the AllParts or Fender solid shaft pots are much better quality and not much more money. Any decent music store should have these and the Phone jack. You might have to go to radio shack to get the .047 mf capacitor. If you can solder at all, the installation is very easy to do.

    Heres what you will need:

    2 ea. 250 K Audio Taper Pots
    1 ea. Phono Plug Jack
    1 ea. .047 mf Capacitor
    1 wiring diagram from Fender website

    While you are doing this it's also a good idea to shield the control cavity with copper foil or shielding paint. If you buy your wiring kit from Stew-Mac get a can of shielding paint while you are at it.
  4. If you can DIY you will really be better off getting the needed parts from an electronic supply house instead of RadShak. The schematics are available on the Fender web site. I prefer Switchcraft for the pots and output jack and a Sprague .047 mf capacitor, Twisting the wire between connections is a good way to cut down on noise and it dosen't change the sound like shielding will.