Where can I get one of these for my bass head?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Where would I get something similar to what is picture below, the 'bar' that holds down the strings, after the nut, before the tuners. . . . . . . .I hope I am explaining that well. I'd like to get one of these for my bass but am not sure where I'd find one.

2. I think they're usually referred to as 'string retainers'. 'String trees' are another variation. 'Bass head', as I understand it, means the top portion of a bass amplifier. The part of a bass where the tuners(or tuning machines)are located is called the headstock, or peghead I believe.
    Oh, & Stewmac.com should have what you're looking for.
  3. What they're normally meant to do is increase the angle of the strings across the nut for two reasons: Helps keep the string wound on the tuner better, and aids in intonation over the nut.

If you have an angled headstock, then the break angle is already there and you don't need a string retainer. Most straight headstocks (Fender J's, P's, Musicman's etc.) have already taken this into consideration and included them.

Or you could just go to allparts.com
  4. Thanks for the correction. Headstock! :)

My headstock IS angled a little bit, but not very much. I am wanting to increase the tension because my strings [especially the B string] seems to be lacking.

Thanks for the links and information, guys! :)
  5. I'm not sure that would help all that much...If you're going to use a string tree to increase string tension (try to get rid of a floppy B string), the added tension will only increase the pitch of the B. Many things contribute to a floppy string, but it mostly comes down to the type and gauge of the string itself. I don't really know too much about it, but if you head to the 'Setup' forum and just type 'floppy' into the search function, I'm sure there's a few dozen threads on ways to correct it.
  6. Thanks for the advise, Mo'Phat. I'll do that.
  7. Here's the best I found:

8. I believe my bass is 35" scale. That's what I measure from nut to bridge.

I could go with a higher gauge string, but I just don't see that doing a whole lot. Worth a try I guess. . . . next time I buy strings.
  9. I've always found the DR Low Riders to be pretty tight...Ernie Balls are super loose...D'Addario's are in the middle.
  10. Yeah, running DR Low Riders right now.

To be honest, my B isn't too floppy, really, I just thought a string retainer would add an extra bit of tension.

So that makes me ask a similar question. Does a bass with a 13 degree peg head make more tension than one that doesn't?
  11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you want to go high tension, then Rotosound is the string maker of choice. Personally, I like DRs better, but I have Rotosound RS66s on one of my basses.
  12. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Hey!! That's my pic!!

Here's the rest of it:

13. Yes, it is. I hope you don't mind me using the picture. I just needed it to show what I was trying to convey. Yes, you have a nice looking Lakland there! ;)
  14. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    No problem!
  15. Uh, yes and no... ;)

Yes, in that there IS more downforce directly on the nut than there would be with a flatter headstock angle. No, because the linear tension is the same as the flatter headstock and there can only be (1) tension reading for a given pitch.

16. Hmmmmm. What about those Fodera's that have the B Tuning key extended? Does THAT effect the string tension, or is it still an issue of there only being one tension reading for the given pitch? And if it is the later, why would you want the extended B tuning key?

17. Yes, that IS interesting. I'd kinda like to know that too! :meh:
  18. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
  19. Thanks, Joshua. That was some very interesting reading. :)
  20. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Pictures like that always worry me, such a nice bass leaning up against a rough brick wall with nothing but friction supporting it :shudder:. That is a very nice looking Lakland

To DaveCustomMade, you might want to take a look at this thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106464

Edit: Please note that Mike Popes method has been largely discounted by those on the forum with knowledge of physics.