Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can I get speak-on cables?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by liran, Apr 22, 2004.

1. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I own a swr sm 900, and megoliath but dont have a speak on cable to connect the two. Where can i get a speak on cable at? And what cables would be good to connect heads and cabinets?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Speakons are available at almost every music store. Also can be ordered at hundreds of internet dealers, including the ones with banners at the top of this page!

3. Or your could make your own with non shielded cable and some nice Neutrik ends!

4. kevinsk

kevinsk

Mar 7, 2004
    Why do you need to use un-shielded cable? Standard 1/4 inch musical instrument cables are shielded, right? Is it ok to use these to connect a head to a cabinet?

5. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    procablesnsound are a talkbass supporter...they have a banner at the top of these web pages...5%off talk bass members...purchase code: talkbass

Tim99.

6. DONT DO IT!! (Sorry for yelling!) There is a whole 'nuther thread entitled "Did my ignorance fry my head?" in this section. I never really paid attention to it either until I followed the thread but I guess you can KILL your head and cab by using instrumant cable to connect them. For one thing I guess the diameter is too small thus changing the impedance. Plus apparently the exsistence of shielding is not a good thing between head and cab...and if the cable fries the resistance drops to 0 ohms and the amps circuitry melts down. I know Ive learned my lesson! Lol! Use a good quality non-shielded speaker cable, available at your local Guitar Center or Radio Shack.

7. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I'll second the recommendation for Procablesnsound. I purchased a Speakon cable from them, and it is top quality. Better than anything I see at local music stores. They are also great guys to work with.

8. No.

Speaker cables unshielded, instrument cables shielded.

Edit:

Just read thru the "Ignorance" thread, while it challenges what I've always thought about instrument/speaker cables there's always something else to learn. In that thread it says the only qualification for a speaker cable is to be 16 gauge or thicker (my SWR manual specifies 18 gauge or thicker FWIW) shielded or unshielded.

I'm not saying to disbelieve anyone in particular (there are plenty here who know much, much more than I do), but you'll generally find that manufactured speaker cables are not shielded. Best way to go.

9. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I also ordered one from ProCablesnSound. Great cable, great service. Watch the add at the top of the screen.

10. Sheilding is not the most important difference between instrument cable and speaker cable. Sheiding simply helps reduce noise. The key point here is that insturment cable is designed to handle signals that are on the mV order where speaker cable is designed to handle a signal that is 10s or 100s of volts. You wouldn't dare use a light duty electrical cord from your kid's toy to power your clothes dryer would you? It's the same kind of deal with line level and speaker level signals. Think.