Where can I get SWR stuff for cheap?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_Knight, May 21, 2001.

1. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Basically, I'm looking at getting some sort of small, fairly portable practice amp that could double as a performance amp in a pinch. I currently use a Crate BX-100, which while it isn't the highest quality - I do get a sound that I like from it. Anyway, I'm looking at the SWR Workingman's 10 and SWR Workingman's 12 combo amps. I keep reading about people getting fairly good prices (sub $400 for the 12 and around $300 for the 10) on them, but I can't find anyone that sells them that low. The lowest that I can find is Musician's Friend ($450 for the 10). I'm looking to be around the $375 - $400 range. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
  2. try going used, as gear prices are generally pretty uniform. it's not like there's an SWR outlet store somewhere.

a lot of folks like <a href="http://www.bassnw.com">bass northwest</a> for new and used.
  3. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Just got the Interstate Music summer catalog, and it's the same price, $450 for the WM10.
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I can't guarantee anything, but give me or one of my cohorts a call at Bass Central. We're an SWR dealer, and have the amps you mentioned in stock. We will certainly at least match the prices you have gotten, and may be able to beat them.

E-mail: bc@basscentral.com

phone: (800) 545-8813
  5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Take a look at www.riksmusic.com

I've seen some great deals on SWR stuff there.

Also, free shipping on orders over $250.
  6. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Check ebay. There's a Bassic Black on there right now (I think it's described as an SWR bass cube if you search) that I believe is in your price range. I think the Bassic Black would be a better option than a Workingman's model in terms of construction and tone. Give it a look see. I know they also have some Workingman's combos on there as well.
  7. Don't pay any more than 66% of new discount price when buying used gear. If you stick to this, you can always resell it on eBay without losing your investment.
  8. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Check with Brian Meader at Chuck Levin's as well. They had the best price I found when I got my WM15T cab this spring and Brian provided good customer service. They don't list prices but the email turnaround was reasonable (a day or so) and the price was good. I only emailed them after seeing someone write about the good prices they had on Bag End stuff.

email: sales@chucklevins.com
  9. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Thanks everyone. Used is definitely an option, however I have trouble finding used gear around here (unless I wanted a Crate or Peavey), and I worry about buying used gear sight unseen. Oh well, I'll do some checking.