Where can I get the right pickguard for a MIJ Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabu, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hi all,

I recently picked up a pearloid pickguard and chrome bridge cover for my MIJ 75 reissue. I set them on the bass and it is going to look awesome... one problem though. The MIA pickguard's screw holes do not line up properly on the MIJ bass.

Does anyone know where I can get a MIJ pearloid pickguard for a Jazz?
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Jeannie Pickguards will also make an exact match of your pickguard from your old one - you send them your old one and they send you two; a new one and your old one. Absolutely -perfect- fit, they do great work.
  5. Care for a little more pragmatic (read "less expensive") solution?

A pickguard from any of the above mentioned suppliers, while absolutely the best available, is going to run you $40 at a minumum. I don't know about you but I would find it hard to justify that when real Fender pickguards can be had for as little as $15 from lots of sources. Here's my reasoning: You've got a Japanese Fender. These are known for high quality, arguably surpassing the quality of American made instruments. But they aren't collectors and they aren't overvalued as Fenders by collectors. I believe these to be more players instruments. Because of this, I think it is perfectly fine to adapt a real Fender pickguard to your bass. I do know about this because I've got a pair of twin, matching Japanese Fender Jazzes, one a fretless the other fretted. I was able to adapt the new pickguards pretty easily with the most work being to match the junction between the toneplate and the pickguard. Since you've got a P, that isn't a problem at all. I think, at the most, you will have to alter the screwhole positions slightly. Since this is a hidden alteration, I would recommend it heartily.