Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where can I go to check out DBs in NY?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Joe Nerve, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Not much more to say here.

2. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
  3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    In NYC , also go to Paul Biase and Kolstein in Long Island.

What type of Bass and price range are you looking for?

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'm trying to spend around $1000. Was initially interested in a thin body electric, but the people here are doing a fine job of talking me out of that. I'd still love to check one of those out if there was anywhere I could do it, but otherwise I'd like to simply learn a little more about the feel of these things, and be able to ask a 3 dimentional human being some questions.

5. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    Check out Ideal Music, their URL is www.bassesonline.com. The address and phone is on their site.

I recently purchased an Eberle fully carved from them. They have other basses in your price range.

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Yes, Ideal is a good choice for lower priced new Basses. Still, $1,000. is a bit low for anything playable. Go with a regular 3/4 Bass with normal rib depth and NOT thin line. As you learn to play and develope you ear for the upright, you may be sorry you didn't get a real Bass.

3-4k is closer to a playable Bass with a real fingerboard. Older Basses will cost more...... Tone will cost more as well...

7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I didn't notice until I went from a real bass to an EUB but the depth of the body at the shoulder of an acoustic is a subtle but valuable reference point for intonation in terms of your arm length and how far the bass sits off of your body and how far you have to reach for a specific note. A thin body will also cause you to break at the wrist and elbow which will rob you of strength and mobility.

8. jstiel

jstiel Jim Stiel

Jun 5, 2004
    Lake Orion, MI
    Hopefully Joe is not left with the impression that he can't find a decent bass for less than $3k. The Shens and Christophers seem quite popular and can be had for far less than that. As for the Eberles, I have a friend who bought a plywood Eberle (Mussima) several years ago for about $2,400 from a reputable shop and he seems to be very happy with it.

9. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    I don't have any basses that are unplayable. Far from it.
    I have Wilfer, Eberle, Hofner, and some Czech and Roma basses ...
    These basses when my dad was alive were $3k and up to about 12k. Well the lionshead Wilfer was at least about 12K back then. They were NEVER low priced (as in Chinese) basses. I would hope the prices I'm charging don't confuse people into thinking the basses are craptastic and unplayable basses. They aren't. Not even close. There are many dealers .. real dealers who before I started doing what I'm doing were selling these same bases for three times the price and that would be about right.
    Faced with a pretty big inventory of basses that my dad left my mom when he died - I was just a music arranger and producer and not at all involved in the family biz - I had two choices. Sell off the inventory to a few dealers who offered me various amounts or offer the basses out to players, students etc. who might not ordinarily have the finances to afford a double bass much less a fully carved bass. If I sold the inventory to a few dealers what would happen? The prices would go right back to where they were when my dad was alive. I thought I'd try and do something nice for everyone and help myself at the same time - and in the end I could always sell off everything to one of the many dealers and wholesalers you better believe have been wanting to get their hands on a few hundred basses at can anyone say distress prices? Well so far I'm not in any distress and I always look for a win win situation so I just dropped every price and made it as easy as possible for everyone concerned to own a good bass ... yes a good bass very much playable for well under a grand .. that's less then 1K. I made it a point to look at lets say the Eastmans .. and beat their price with a Romanian made bass. Even though the Roma had originally been more expensive ... I dropped it well below. But that's not to say it doesn't sell elsewhere for almost three times the price. Many dealers have this bass and it's easy to see on line what they're selling it for. But I'm not in the bass business - not really. I'm in the getting out of the bass business business if you get my drift. An Eberle for under 1k? Many know these Musima basses sold for way more ... and these aren't your typical under a thousand dollar basses ... not by a long shot. So ... lets face it here and I don't want to use this as some promo for Ideal Music .. the rep of that 50 year old business stands by itself. Some who knew my old man know he was a pretty straight up guy. I'm not looking to make a profit here .. I'm looking to recoup some of my dad's original investment, make a lot of people happy which I think I've done, get off the hook from an expensive warehouse in Brooklyn, and then exit gracefully from the music business. But don't think for one single minute that just because I've priced two basses at under 1K that they are the same as those unplayable things that only look like basses .... what I've priced at under a grand are more like basses in the 2k or a bit above category and they are absolutely more then playable.

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I forgot about your collection, Greene. How many basses do you have left? Are you going to sell the cellos after you're done with the DBs?

If I was anywhere near the City, I'd be checking out that warehouse.

11. jstiel

jstiel Jim Stiel

Jun 5, 2004
    Lake Orion, MI
    I can vouch for Steve. I bought a Wilfer and a Roma from him. They are good instruments in their own right - the prices only made it better.

12. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    Marcus. When I began I thought I had about 300 but it seems like the more people buy the more new ones I find. Picture a New York City block lined with basses and you wouldn't be far off from my reality ... from 3/4 right down to 1/10 size and every type.
    It's like treasure hunt - I seem to always discover something new. Last week it was two Czech basses that I bet are at least 25 years old. Now I'll just bring them into Manhattan to see exactly what they are but the first part is discovering them. I wish I knew what my dad was thinking when he was buying in his last years - actually believe it or not he was buying the day before he died.
    Cellos are the same problem. as many basses as I have, I have at least twice as many cellos and from all over the place. The cellos however are still my 82 year old mother's love so I leave those alone for now. Sad part is how many I will discover that have been completely destroyed in that warehouse and not because of climate as much as just getting thrown around .. like the three once beautiful carved Semmlingers that I saw in pieces laying on the warehouse floor last week. Also, there are cellos by all sorts of different makers and factories. German, Romanian, Hungarian, and of course Czech since my dad represented them for so many years.
    Anyway, being a musician myself, I can well understand how important it is for a student or someone playing for the first time to have an instrument that is really an instrument and not something that just looks like one but can never really deliver anything but lots of frustration and all to often drives the student to quit thinking he has no musical ability when he very well might have. Nothing is worse than that. How many kids gave up after playing in High School because the instruments were so horrible ? If I can change that for one kid, it makes it all worthwhile to me and my dad might have liked knowing that everything ended up making a whole lot of people very happy. And anyone who has met my mom knows this is exactly true.

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Wow. Me and my checkbook in that room. Dangerous.

14. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Greene and Ideal would be a great option. For under 2K you can get a bass from Greene (it does come with basic set up so it is a playable instrument)...then take it to a luthier for a set up to your liking and you are in business.

I got an Eberle from him a few months back and can't be happier.

Also, try and check out as many places as well. Even though I got an Eberle from Greene I played tons of basses, many were just out of my price range.

Good Luck

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    But also Bass Garden in Yonkers, Steve LaSpina is selling Wan Bernadels in New Jersey, Arnold is north of the city.